Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
cge1
New Contributor

Fortigate in ByBass Mode, no access at all

Dear all, 

I am pretty new to configurate firewalls. We bought a Fortigate 80F which has been initially configured in terms of ISP PPPoE Access.

now if have 2 problems, which i cannot solve by myself: 

1. For any reason the device do not forward now traffic from WAN to LAN Ports. (not that dramatic for now) 

2. In Addition the Device is in a bypass mode, which do not allows me to connect to the firewall at all. Reset Button do not show any effect, mobile device config via BLE is producing error message. Typing the local IP while being connected to a lan port brings nothing. i assume that is changed the ports into dhcp mode, but once i do a IP Scan in my internal network the firewall is not shown. Ping is sucessfull. console cable not available. 

I just want to reset the device. any ideas ?  

Thanks for your help in advance.

3 REPLIES 3
pgautam
Staff
Staff

Hi @cge1 

If you are not able to take the GUI or SSH of the Firewall then in 80F fortigate reset button is available.

You can try to reset FGT from the Pinhole method using the reset button.

Before pressing the reset button check the status LED status.

As soon as the status LED started blinking hit the reset button. The firewall will get reboot post completing the reset. Once FGT comes up make before trying the access make power and status LED up and in solid status.

Please find the datasheet of FGT 80F

https://www.fortinet.com/content/dam/fortinet/assets/data-sheets/fortigate-fortiwifi-80f-series.pdf

Regards

Priyanka

- Have you found a solution? Then give your helper a "Kudos" and mark the solution.

sw2090
SuperUser
SuperUser

Keep in mind that you might have to coldrestart your fgt before using the reset button since it gets deactivated within some minutes after bootup.

Alternatively: connect a serial console to the FGT. Then you can watch it booting and see what it does as it gives you cli access...

-- 

"It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes." - Douglas Adams

-- "It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes." - Douglas Adams
Christian_89
Contributor III

It sounds like you're in a tricky situation with your FortiGate 80F. Since the reset button is not working and you're unable to access the device through the LAN ports or BLE, your options are somewhat limited.

Here's what you might try:

### 1. **Double-Check the Reset Process**
- **Power Cycle**: Turn off the device, wait a few moments, and then turn it back on. This can sometimes resolve minor issues.
- **Reset Button**: Ensure that you're following the correct process for using the reset button. Typically, you need to press and hold the reset button for a certain number of seconds (often 10-15 seconds) until the device starts the reset process. The exact process can vary depending on the model, so check the FortiGate 80F documentation to make sure you're doing it correctly.

1) Reboot FortiGate.
- It should be noted that a power-cycle is required and that using the CLI command #execute reboot may not be sufficient to enable the reset button.
2) Wait until the FortiGate OS is running again.
- You will know the FortiGate OS is at the running stage when "STATUS"/"STA" LED flashing it means console prompt the login
3) In the first 30 or 60 seconds press external button which is used to Factory Reset the FortiGate
- The reset button can only be used in the first 30 or 60 seconds depends on the model after a power-cycle.
- If the uptime of the unit more than 30 or 60 seconds, the RESET button is disabled and when pressed the console output will prompt you with below message and NO ACTION IS TAKEN IF PRESS AT THIS STAGE.

### 2. **Try Different Ethernet Ports**
- If you suspect that the LAN ports may be in DHCP mode or otherwise misconfigured, try connecting to different ports on the device. It's possible that one of them will allow you to access the management interface.

### 3. **Check Your Computer's IP Configuration**
- If the FortiGate's LAN ports are in DHCP mode, your computer should be set to obtain an IP address automatically. Check your computer's network settings to make sure this is the case.
- If you believe the FortiGate's LAN ports may be configured with static IPs, you might try manually configuring your computer with an IP address in the expected range. This would require knowing or guessing the correct subnet, which may be challenging if you're unsure of the FortiGate's configuration.

### 4. **Consider Professional Assistance**
- If you continue to have trouble, it may be wise to seek professional assistance. If the device is under warranty or you have a support contract with Fortinet, their technical support team should be able to assist you. An experienced network technician may also be able to help.

### 5. **Console Cable as a Last Resort**
- I understand that a console cable is not available, but if all else fails, obtaining a compatible console cable and using it to connect to the FortiGate's console port may be your best option. This would typically allow you to access the device's command line interface, where you could perform a factory reset or make other configuration changes.

It's unfortunate that you're facing these challenges, especially if you're new to configuring firewalls. Fortinet's devices are powerful and flexible, but they can be complex, particularly if something goes wrong with the initial setup. If you continue to have trouble, don't hesitate to seek professional assistance, as attempting to resolve the issue without the proper knowledge or tools could potentially make the situation worse.

Announcements

Select Forum Responses to become Knowledge Articles!

Select the “Nominate to Knowledge Base” button to recommend a forum post to become a knowledge article.

Labels
Top Kudoed Authors