Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
RodolfoB
New Contributor

Fortigate defined vlan to new fortiswitch

Hi Fortinet Community!!

We have an existing FG201E v7.0.15 with existing VLANS working and are now in the process of purchasing Fortiswitches to replace thirdparty distribution switch. Does the existing vlan translate to the switch controller fortiswitch vlan? If not, are there any migration path for it? Thanks.

Rodolfo   

7 REPLIES 7
dbu
Staff
Staff

Hi @RodolfoB ,

I have not tested this myself, but I believe you need to play with the naming of the interfaces and adapt to the new name 'fortilink'. 

You can take the configuration backup and rename the interfaces where it says : 
set interface 'switch link'  change with 'fortilink'

The rest of the configuration should be as it was  and you need just to restore the config to the FGT. 

Ideally would be testing this in lab environment before implementing in production or inside a planned maintenance window. 

Regards!
If you have found a solution, please like and accept it to make it easily accessible for others.
RodolfoB
New Contributor

Hi dbu,

Unfortunately, we only have one FG, so testing is not possible. But we are thinking using a new interface on the FG to connect to the new FSwitch and try it out, but our concern is that it might affect the existing vlans which has traffic, transitioning to the fortiswitch vlan (if it's possible by the way).

dbu

Yes you can do it with only one interface for testing.

Replacing the switch  will affect the current traffic anyway, you will disconnect cables and reconnect to the new switch. 

Regards!
If you have found a solution, please like and accept it to make it easily accessible for others.
hbac
Staff
Staff

Hi @RodolfoB,

It depends which port is connected to the third party switch? Will you connect FortiSwitch to the same interface? If yes, VLANs are already configured on that interface and should continue to work. You just need to make sure fortilink is enabled on that interface. 

config system interface 

edit <> 

set fortilink enable 

end 

Regards, 

RodolfoB
New Contributor

Hi hbac,

If i'm understanding it right is that we can use existing vlans defined on the FG aggregate  and just use fortilink to manage the new FSwitches? If that is so, what will happen if we define new vlans under the fortilink switch controller?

Regards

hbac

Hi @RodolfoB,

I mean you can use existing VLANs if you use the same physical ports connected to the third party switch. FortiGate can manage FortiSwitch over 'any' physical ports as long as 'fortilink' is enabled. 

Regards, 

RodolfoB
New Contributor

Hi hbac,

Got it! Thanks

Labels
Top Kudoed Authors