Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
waltvs
New Contributor

Fortigate - Wireguard Support

Hi,

I did a less-than-thorough search on the web, but was wondering if Fortinet has plans to integrate Wireguard VPN in their Fortigates?  We've all had some sports with IPSEC tunnels that drop and never come back - might be time to embrace the future. :) 

Thanks! 

1 Solution
sancho81
New Contributor II

wireguard is fantastic

Implement it (also in beta ) can provide a big advantage on competitors.

it is the future: faster , secure , simple...

View solution in original post

20 REPLIES 20
Art_Cancro
New Contributor

Agreed.  The level of consensus among network professionals that Wireguard is becoming *the* VPN protocol of choice is nothing short of breathtaking.   Support for Wireguard is already becoming part of our decision-making process when choosing equipment for a build.

Mikrotik and pfSense are already there, by the way.

Please integrate Wireguard into Fortinet products immediately.

sancho81
New Contributor II

wireguard is fantastic

Implement it (also in beta ) can provide a big advantage on competitors.

it is the future: faster , secure , simple...

nbctcp
New Contributor III

AGREED Mikrotik, pfsense, openwrt, opnsense already support it

Additional Request 1. bigger RAM, as low end model such as 61F will got Conserve Mode when many feature on 2. USB-C for console port since USB-A cable more expensive than USB-C cable PA CP, Cisco has USB-C console port. Why not Forti follow the same trend

http://goo.gl/lhQjmUhttp://nbctcp.wordpress.com
marchand
New Contributor III

I highly doubt it the big vendors like Cisco, Juniper,etc..( Fortinet included ) will jump to implement wireguard in their routers and firewalls . They have no reason to do it .

For the moment IPsec is  the de-facto standard and is supported everywhere. It works very well and there are no performance issue , no compatibility  issues when using IKEv2 . Just my 2 cents .

richardvd

Is there any update to this? Wireguard looks great

hatlen

This should be implemented. This can make it possible to actually get micro-segmentation with fortigate-firewalling on clients and servers. If it doesn't get implemented, NSX and Nebula and others are gonna take market shares here. IPSEC is de-facto only until WireGuard comes along, and we're getting there. The question is if you wanna be the dinosaur that haven't followed along or be on-top of it and use it as a sales point.

I'd say Wireguard is in "early majority" in the Bell tech-adoption curve right now..

nbanba
New Contributor II

Hi everybody

Did you open an NFR (New Feature Request) at your Fortinet local support team ?

This is the process to add new feature in FortiOS for FortiGate.

Kind regards,

Nicolas

hatlen
New Contributor

That's an impractical way of doing it, but yes, I have now! But everyone has to this. Else it's probably going nowhere. After all, they do sell FortiClient..

nbanba
New Contributor II

Dear Hatlen

If you open a case @ fortinet TAC support in the meantime it can help Fortinet generally do not give support on design for projects in delivery, so to open a case like this one, it can be a good idea to ask support on the chat (like : How to configure a wireguard VPN on my FortiGate ?). The level 0 operator of the chat will not know and he will propose you to open a case at next TAC support level for a senior engenieer to answer.

This way, I get some support on design or on New Feature Request (NFR) which I cannot have the regular way.

PS :

I will also ask Fortinet to include Wireguard in FortiOS and I will also ask for 2 others features : - How to use FortiGate behind a proxy server (socks / squid & VPN endpoint) for some particular networks connected on the FortiGate interface (feature does not exist in FortiOS 7.0.0 ...)

- How to fix IPv6 addresses uing dhcp6 on the Fortigate (reserve-address feature does not exist in FortiOS 7.0.0 ...)

Kind regards

nbanba

Labels
Top Kudoed Authors