Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
Wanderer
New Contributor II

Fortigate: Why traffic is allowed by default in policy based mode?

Hello,

Although I have some experience with Fortigate, I think I always have worked with profile-based mode. Now I just set up a lab to test policy based mode, just to find that two PCs connected to different LANs on different FG ports can ping each other, with no existing security policies yet. Is that normal? Do I have to explicitly block the traffic?

Looks like they can ping each other, but not the WAN interface, or other addresses located on the WAN interface. FortiOS is 7.0.5

Thank you in advance

Daniel

4 REPLIES 4
sw2090
Honored Contributor

do you have NAT enabled on some policy? Or is there some policy allowing src any to dst any or similar?

You could do some flow debug to see which policy is being hit.

-- 

"It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes." - Douglas Adams

-- "It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes." - Douglas Adams
Wanderer
New Contributor II

Hi,

No, I just installed the FG, set the hostname, IP addresses of WAN, LAN1 and LAN2 interfaces, allowed ping on all interfaces but http/https only on the WAN, set the LAN1 as DHCP server, and changed the settings to policy based. The rest is the configuration by default (only the deny all policy exists). If it helps, it's a KVM virtualized FG, but I think it should not be important.

I thought about doing debugging it, but the thing is that it should not match anything. Tomorrow I will if I don't find any logic behind it.

Regards,

Wanderer
New Contributor II

Finally I found the issue. I was breaking my head, watching how the matching policy was the default one, and even though the traffic was allowed through the Fortigate.

It was an issue with the memory assigned to the VM, it was less than the recommended, but all this time, the lab worked perfectly with profile-based configurations, now I just assigned more vRAM, and everything started to work as expected.

Debbie_FTNT

Hey Wanderer,

thanks for sharing the solution with us :).

+++ Divide by Cucumber Error. Please Reinstall Universe and Reboot +++
Labels
Top Kudoed Authors