Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
burakheyjobs
New Contributor

Fortigate VMware using VLAN with DHCP

Hello everyone. Before buying Fortinet for our office network, I wanted to use more Fortinet VMware version.  So what I want to do is to use VLAN10 on port 2 and set DHCP on that VLAN10. port2 (VMnet2) is connected to one laptop and I want to get an IP from DHCP on VLAN10 (192.168.10.1). I setup everything but I can't communicate with VLAN10 (192.168.10.1). If I do exact same thing to port2(physical interface), dhcp works.
My setup is:

port2(physical port) ip: 0.0.0.0/0.0.0.0.0

VLAN10 IP= 192.168.10.1/24 - DHCP= 192.168.10.20 - 192.168.10.254

What am I missing here exaclty? In my former company, there wasn't any problem with Fortinet 300F but when I try to do that on virtual machine, I can't. Any answer , suggestion will be much appreciated :)

Stay Geek

4 REPLIES 4
sss
Staff
Staff

Hello,

It depends on how you are connecting your Laptop to the FGT-VM vs FGT-300F. Try with another VM on the same hypervisor and attaching it to VMner2 might give you an idea whether it is FGT-VM config or ESXi Hypervisor config.  When we talk about FGT-VM and a Laptop there comes Virtual to Physical via Hardware Switch. Does it allow dot1q or is VLAN 10 your native VLAN ?

Best Regards,

SSS

Best Regards,
Siva
burakheyjobs

Hello

Vlan10 is native. All I do is basic, maybe that is the problem. I use lenovo laptop for FGT-VM and Lenovo's internet port is connected to local unmanaged 6 ports switch. On that switch, there is MacBook connected. MacBook should get IP but it can't. I tried wireshark to understand the issue but I couldn't :) it gets ip  of 169..etc

Should I also configure IP on ethernet in Windows setting? 

Thank you :)

sss

I see. Maybe worth testing it with a lightweight Linux VM on the same hypervisor I mentioned earlier to see if it gets IP and decide how to manipulate your Hypervisor.

Best Regards,
Siva
burakheyjobs

Thank you, I will. I will keep you posted :)

Labels
Top Kudoed Authors