Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
ankda14
New Contributor

Fortigate VM 64 supports VDOM feature?

Hi All,

I am trying to find if fortigate VM(firmware version - v5.4.7,build6446 ) supports VDOM functionality?

I can't able to enable it through CLI as i don't get command for it.

Thanks

5 REPLIES 5
neonbit
Valued Contributor

Yes it does, I think the command is hidden by default but you should be able to type it in manually.

config system global

set vdom-admin enable

end

It will ask you to confirm then log you out of the session.

romanr
Valued Contributor

Hey,

this will depend on your license:

Fortigate VM01 does have VDOMs

Fortigate VM01V does not have VDOMs

The normal Fortigate VM  Models just go End-Of-Order -> So for future there won't be VMs with VDOMs any more...

Br,

Roman

loic
New Contributor III

romanr wrote:

The normal Fortigate VM  Models just go End-Of-Order -> So for future there won't be VMs with VDOMs any more...

Does anyone can confirm this ?

I know that it's the information in the 2018-Q1 pricelist but it seems strange and I heard that it may be a mistake

Loïc
Loïc
dwear
New Contributor

Maybe someone from Fortinet can answer more accurately, but the information I've gotten is that VDOMs are not going away, just being licensed differently. What I was told is that because of performance implications, Fortinet is trying to encourage users to purchase multiple VMs, as opposed to purchasing one and using VDOMs. If you look at the VM02, you can purchase 3x VM02V and Fortimanager for the same price as the VM02. 

dwear
New Contributor

They do support it, but you need to purchase the correct licensing. There is separate licensing for VDOM support (FGVM0x) vs no-VDOM (FG-VM0xV). In my experience, it's been cheaper to purchase multiple non-VDOM VMs than it has to purchase 1x VM with VDOM. 

Labels
Top Kudoed Authors