Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
networm
New Contributor II

Fortigate Static ARP , MAC Adress Based IP Filtering

Hi,

Our company has 6 x /24 IP blocks, and we want to create static ARP records for each IP address, consisting of different MAC addresses. We only want the specified MAC addresses to access the internet. We are using a Fortigate 3700D device.

We don't want anyone else to use that ip other than the mac we paired with. Is it possible with without problem ? 

My question this process can be offloaded by the NP6 processor and if there would be any issues with a 10Gbps active capacity.

Thanks.

1 Solution
ebilcari
Staff
Staff

Usually this configurations are done through a switch (at L2 level) with a feature called Dynamic ARP Inspection (DAI). It can be used together with DHCP reservation to control the IP that each host can get. It will prevent any host from trying to spoof/change the IP address in the network.

- Emirjon
If you have found a solution, please like and accept it to make it easily accessible for others.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
hhasny
Staff
Staff

Hi @networm ,

I believe mac address base policy is what you are looking for. Try checking the following link guide.

http://docs.fortinet.com/document/fortigate/7.2.7/administration-guide/407159

best regards,

jaikal9
New Contributor

Yes, it still does the block based on the IP of the devices, but I still can reference the MAC Addresses of those devices behind the L3 router because it constantly collects and update IP/MAC associations with the registered L3 devices. It's still controlling the traffic on the L3 but is using a clever trick to discover the MAC addresses associated with the IP addresses https://100001.onl/ .

ebilcari
Staff
Staff

Usually this configurations are done through a switch (at L2 level) with a feature called Dynamic ARP Inspection (DAI). It can be used together with DHCP reservation to control the IP that each host can get. It will prevent any host from trying to spoof/change the IP address in the network.

- Emirjon
If you have found a solution, please like and accept it to make it easily accessible for others.
networm
New Contributor II

Thanks.

I thinks it will be solution.

Labels
Top Kudoed Authors