Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
Jucker
New Contributor III

Fortigate Site to Site VPN Steer encrypt/unecrypted traffic opinion

Hello,

I would like to know your opinion about control what traffic should and should not be encrypted based on destination.
The use case is : 

- The agence K has a source A going to network X it should going encrypted through the S2S VPN.

- The SAME source A going to network Y it should not be encrypted.

- Both networks Y and X should pass through the same firewall for networks X and Y.

- The tricky part is the source still the same.

The idea i have so far to implement is to create two tunnels : 1 IPSEC and 1 GRE without encryption  and regroup them both on SDWAN interface, and using SDWAN Rules to steer what it should be encrypted (send through IPSEC Tunnel ) and what not (send through GRE Tunnel ).

It would be great to hear your opinions/ideas!

Thanks and regards!

FortiGate 

3 REPLIES 3
xshkurti
Staff
Staff

@Jucker 
That is a good solution you have thought about.
But my question relates to why will u use SDWAN interface? If one of links fails (GRE or IPSEC) then traffic will try to be sent on the other link, because sdwan rule has an implicit rule that load balances traffic between members, and this may cause troubles in traffic.

Much simpler would be to just create static routes
A to X through ipsec tunnel

A to Y through gre tunnel

Both setups (sdwan or static route) are valid.

Jucker
New Contributor III

@xshkurti  Thank you for your response. the reason why i did go with SDWAN idea, is the static routes of X and Y from the FGT has the A network perspective it should be simple as that, but  how about the FGT has X and Y networks ? in that case i need to route A on both tunnels which make it ECMP and if there's a traffic generated from X or Y toward A it will go on one of the tunnels, and i wanted to avoid the policy based routing. what do you think ?

Thanks and regards!

xshkurti
Staff
Staff

@Jucker  Since you want to avoid Policy Routing, then SD-WAN would do the job as per your requirements.

Regards,
@xshkurti 

Labels
Top Kudoed Authors