Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
tungnx59
New Contributor II

Fortigate SD-WAN Load Balacing

Dear Expert, 

I am searching Fortigate SD-WAN load Balancing, and I found 2 commands:

set load-balance-mode [source-ip-based|weight-based|...]

This command is under : config system sdwan

And: 2. 

set load-balance [enable|disable]

This command under: config service (SD-WAN rule)

I don't understand what is purpose of them , and why do FortiGate SD-WAN has  these 2 commands look like same ?

Because, if traffic match sdw-wan rule, the command 2 will execute, right ?, and when command 1 is executed ?

Thanks !

1 Solution
rahulkaushik-22

@tungnx59 

SDWAN does load balancing when it hits the implicit rule otherwise SDWAN rule will decide the outgoing interface based on various Interface selection strategy. 

1. set load-balance-mode [source-ip-based|weight-based|...] : it decide the strategy of load balancing. 

set load-balance [enable|disable]: It means load balancing is enabled. 

Regards, 
Rahul kaushik

MR RAHUL K KAUSHIK

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
Mrinmoy
Staff
Staff

The first one is based on which parameter of the load balance you want to configure

https://community.fortinet.com/t5/FortiGate/Technical-Tip-SD-WAN-rule-with-settings-as-set-mode-load...

Mrinmoy Purkayastha
rahulkaushik-22

@tungnx59 

SDWAN does load balancing when it hits the implicit rule otherwise SDWAN rule will decide the outgoing interface based on various Interface selection strategy. 

1. set load-balance-mode [source-ip-based|weight-based|...] : it decide the strategy of load balancing. 

set load-balance [enable|disable]: It means load balancing is enabled. 

Regards, 
Rahul kaushik

MR RAHUL K KAUSHIK
tungnx59
New Contributor II

thank you so much 

hjhajj
Staff
Staff

Dear Customer,

To get further information on setting up the load balancing SD-WAN configuration, you can refer to the following document

https://docs.fortinet.com/document/fortigate/5.6.0/cookbook/285196/setting-up-the-load-balancing-sd-...

Announcements

Select Forum Responses to become Knowledge Articles!

Select the “Nominate to Knowledge Base” button to recommend a forum post to become a knowledge article.

Labels
Top Kudoed Authors