Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
Ydaew
New Contributor III

Fortigate HA cable

Hello,

Does HA cable between two Fortigates devices should be cross-over? or the straight one can work normally without any issues? 

Please anyone have a clarification about that for both types of cables UTP and Fiber

3 Solutions
Fullmoon
Contributor III

most of the FortiGate model interfaces are auto sense. In my production 2x FGT 501 and 2x FGT 800C uses straight cables without an issue.

Fortigate Newbie

View solution in original post

Fortigate Newbie
orani

Straight cables works fine for me too. Fgt 100D fgt3000C.

Orestis Nikolaidis

Network Engineer/IT Administrator

Orestis Nikolaidis Network Engineer/IT Administrator
ede_pfau

I haven't used a fiber connection for HA yet but as both ports are identical I think fiber needs to be cross-over. All copper ports nowadays are GbE so they will auto-negotiate to become cross-over.

BTW, if you use port 14 and port 15 for HA, do connect port 14 to port 14 and port 15 to port15! NEVER cross HA ports!

Ede Kernel panic: Aiee, killing interrupt handler!

6 REPLIES 6
Fullmoon
Contributor III

most of the FortiGate model interfaces are auto sense. In my production 2x FGT 501 and 2x FGT 800C uses straight cables without an issue.

Fortigate Newbie

Fortigate Newbie
orani

Straight cables works fine for me too. Fgt 100D fgt3000C.

Orestis Nikolaidis

Network Engineer/IT Administrator

Orestis Nikolaidis Network Engineer/IT Administrator
ede_pfau

I haven't used a fiber connection for HA yet but as both ports are identical I think fiber needs to be cross-over. All copper ports nowadays are GbE so they will auto-negotiate to become cross-over.

BTW, if you use port 14 and port 15 for HA, do connect port 14 to port 14 and port 15 to port15! NEVER cross HA ports!

Ydaew
New Contributor III

Execuse me, I didn't get the point of how to connected HA since in out scenario all HAs are using two ports. You mean that i should connect FW1_port14 to FW2_port15 and vise-versa ?

ede_pfau

do connect port 14 to port 14 and port 15 to port15!

Ydaew
New Contributor III

I read it as do not connect :), so i got confused! ... Thanks so much for all of you

Announcements

Select Forum Responses to become Knowledge Articles!

Select the “Nominate to Knowledge Base” button to recommend a forum post to become a knowledge article.

Labels
Top Kudoed Authors