Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
ricardo_bastos
New Contributor

Fortigate 90e removed

Hi,

Do you guys know why fortigate 90e was removed from the line?

Some bug?

1 Solution
seadave

This is part of the Atom CM2000 series clock defect.  It is/will impact MANY products from MANY manufacturers.  The rumor is that Intel is forcing vendors to sign NDAs and compensating them in some way to replace the defective hardware. More people need to be made aware as this is going to hit a lot of folks who don't pay attention in a bad way over the next few years.  I just deployed a 90E at my daughter's school so I'm not happy about the situation.

https://www.theregister.co.uk/2017/02/07/intel_atom_failures_go_back_18_months/

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
Alby23
Contributor II

Dunno, it surely was in a "strange" position and even stranger with the 80e

eti_andrei
New Contributor III

One of our partners tells us that it's no longer available for sale and all 90E inquiries should be directed towards the 80E.

Kaparuz

Maybe this:

Customer Support Bulletin CSB-170207-1 Clock Signal Degrades Over Time 2017-02-15 Subject: Clock Signal Degrades Over Time Released: 2017-02-15 Modified: 2017-02-15  Product: FortiGate 90E, FortiGate 91E, and FortiHypervisor 90E

Description:

FortiGate devices, whereby the clock signal may degrade over time.  This can lead to system boot failure or operating errors.  Devices which use these components have an increased possibility of needing replacement after about 3 years.

Possibly Affected Products:

In certain instances this component may affect the earliest deliveries of the following products with the specific part number AND rework (EX4893-xx) not yet applied:

FortiGates 90E:              P19061-03 FortiGate 91E:                P19071-03 FortiHypervisor 90E:        P19078-03 *

(* Correction of part number as hightlighted.  It was P19079-03 in the 2017-02-08 release.)

A unit with the above mentioned part number with rework EX4893-xx label is NOT affected.

To verify the part number and work label:

(1)    Part number can be can be identified by issuing “get sys status” command:

FGT90E4Q16000020 # get sys status Version: FortiGate-90E v5.4.1,build5461,160627 (GA) --- abbreviated--- System Part-Number: P19061-03

(2)    A rework label with rework number (EX4893-xx), if applied, can be seen in the bottom of the unit alongside of the big Fortinet product sticker with model, serial number, and other pertinent information about the unit.

Remedy:

Immediate replacement is not necessary, however Fortinet stands by its commitments in all active support agreements; wherever there is a covered issue related to continued operation of these units based on the above, we will work with our supported customers to plan appropriate remedial measures and an appropriate path forward.

seadave

This is part of the Atom CM2000 series clock defect.  It is/will impact MANY products from MANY manufacturers.  The rumor is that Intel is forcing vendors to sign NDAs and compensating them in some way to replace the defective hardware. More people need to be made aware as this is going to hit a lot of folks who don't pay attention in a bad way over the next few years.  I just deployed a 90E at my daughter's school so I'm not happy about the situation.

https://www.theregister.co.uk/2017/02/07/intel_atom_failures_go_back_18_months/

eti_andrei
New Contributor III

We became concerned when the 90E was not listed in the 5.6 release notes. Combined with the CSB we received urging us to create RMA tickets for our affected 90E units and the product being outright removed from the sales channel (according to a partner), what becomes of our units now? Are we stuck on the 5.4.x branch? We are awaiting a reply from support regarding the future support of these units that lived a brief but tumultuous life.

seadave

It is unfortunate because it is a good product.  We upgraded from a rickety old 80C and the 90E is like a rocket ship compared to the old unit.  Running 5.4.4 solid.  I haven't looked into it yet, but I hope Fortinet will be willing to cross-ship replacement.

eti_andrei
New Contributor III

Received a vague reply from support on Friday stating that the 90E is still supported and has been "successfully deployed to many customers." However, they didn't touch on 5.6 support. I was also told that they cannot authorize replacement with an 80E. Figured it was worth a shot.

In the meantime, we will RMA our existing clients' units affected by CSB-170207-1.

zeki893
New Contributor II

I got my FGT90E RMA and installed it but I just noticed that it has a lower serial number and still uses those same components as my previous one. I'm opening my ticket again. Anybody else experience this?

This atom clock bug is a big mess. I put in a RMA request for my Cisco ASA 5506 and it's still in processing.

HA

Hi all,

This situation is really not acceptable !

Fortinet must replace this series (faulty or not because 5.6 is not supported !!) with 80E series.

Fortinet, wake up and gives us a clear and valid feedback.

One of cutomer (owning multiple firewalls) says: if Fortinet does NOT replace them , we will switch to Palo Alto. It is clear ?? 

Regards,

HA

Labels
Top Kudoed Authors