Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
AlejandroVegaUr
New Contributor II

Fortigate 90D does not start, it is cycled with error logs.

Good morning, my Forti has problems when trying to enter via web and ssh, entering via console, I see the following logs without stopping:

EXT3-fs error (device sd(8,1)): ext3_readdir: bad entry in directory #768546: rec_len is smaller than minimal - offset=0, inode=1027, rec_len=4, name_len=0
EXT3-fs error (device sd(8,1)): ext3_readdir: bad entry in directory #196225: inode out of bounds - offset=952, inode=1075589602, rec_len=44, name_len=34
EXT3-fs error (device sd(8,1)): ext3_readdir: directory #228929 contains a hole at offset 200704

A formatlogdisk and also factoryreset were applied, however the problem continues, later the boot device was formatted before starting and the firmware v6.0.14 build 0457 is loaded via TFTP, to avoid a bug, but the problem continues. These are the logs that are cycled and the Forti keeps restarting:

Booting OS...
Reading boot image... 1406743 bytes.
Initializing firewall...

System is starting...
Resizing shared data partition...done
Formatting shared data partition ... done!
Starting system maintenance...
Scanning /dev/sdb1... (100%)
Scanning /dev/sdb3... (100%)

System storage='SSD' disk-usage changed, please 'execute disk format 255'.

Disk usage changed, please wait for reboot...

EXT3-fs error (device sd(8,1)): ext3_free_blocks: Freeing blocks not in datazone - block = 16777216, count = 1
EXT3-fs error (device sd(8,1)): ext3_free_blocks: Freeing blocks not in datazone - block = 33554432, count = 1
EXT3-fs error (device sd(8,1)): ext3_free_blocks: bit already cleared for block 33923
Formatting the disk...
- unmounting /data2 : ok
- unmounting /var/log : ok
Partitioning and formatting /dev/sda label LOGUSEDX20E91C8A ... done

The system is going down NOW !!

Please stand by while rebooting the system.
Restarting system.

FortiGate-90D (15:41-10.21.2013)
Ver:04000018
Serial number: FGT90D3Z13009853
CPU(01): 900MHz
Total RAM: 2GB
Initializing boot device...
Initializing MAC... nplite#0
Please wait for OS to boot, or press any key to display configuration menu.....

Regards

6 REPLIES 6
snbnfortigate
New Contributor

me too, how to fix this erro? please help me.

Debbie_FTNT

Hey snbnfortigate,

the EXT-fs errors indicate issues with file-system. There's not much that can be done; the usual solution would be to format the disk and reinstall; this does cause a complete loss of configuration though.

If your FortiGate is stuck in a boot loop (constantly restarting without ever being fully online), there isn't really a way to get into it and take a backup, sorry :/.

A KB on how to format and reinstall: https://community.fortinet.com/t5/FortiGate/Technical-Tip-Formatting-and-loading-FortiGate-firmware-...

+++ Divide by Cucumber Error. Please Reinstall Universe and Reboot +++
AlejandroVegaUr

Hey Debbie,

I have also done that option without success, the FORTI is still the same, with problems.

Regards

AlejandroVegaUr

I still can't find a solution, these registers are cycled all the time it is on without stopping.

1->EXT3-fs error (device sd(8,1)): ext3_readdir: bad entry in directory #163521: inode out of bounds - offset=0, inode=33717953, rec_len=12, name_len=1

2->EXT3-fs error (device sd(8,1)): ext3_add_entry: bad entry in directory #163521: inode out of bounds - offset=0, inode=33717953, rec_len=12, name_len=1

3->EXT3-fs error (device sd(8,1)): ext3_delete_entry: bad entry in directory #163521: inode out of bounds - offset=0, inode=16941073, rec_len=20, name_len=10

4->EXT3-fs error (device sd(8,1)): ext3_find_entry: bad entry in directory #163521: inode out of bounds - offset=8192, inode=16941073, rec_len=20, name_len=10

Regards

Debbie_FTNT

Hey Alejandro,

in that case, it's probably a disk issue that can't be easily fixed - if you have a support contract on that FortiGate, you can open a ticket for some more in-depth assistance, or to get a replacement underway, should that turn out to be necessary (in my experience, if formatting the log disk doesn't solve it, it usually ends in a replacement).

Not really anything more we can do from here, sorry :\

+++ Divide by Cucumber Error. Please Reinstall Universe and Reboot +++
sw2090
Honored Contributor

probably dying flash? Happend to me with several 90D and 92D here. I suggest opening an RMA Ticket with TAC if possible.

-- 

"It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes." - Douglas Adams

-- "It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes." - Douglas Adams
Labels
Top Kudoed Authors