Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
IT_Researcher
New Contributor

Fortigate 80F internal storage space for Log retention

I have a query regarding log storage in Fortigate 80F device. I’m aware that Fortigate 80F does not have hard disk support like 81F, but it has flash memory (EMMC) of about 4GB.

Are Fortigate logs stored on this flash memory? Can we copy logs from here to another system using FTP/SCP?

If logs are not stored on flash memory, how can we copy logs from Fortigate 80F device to our systems using scp/ftp?

Appreciate your help!

1 REPLY 1
sw2090
Honored Contributor

logs are stored on the FGT. Without disk there is less storage space of course.

Also in this case logs afaik are not persistent. I.e. if you reboot the fgt they're gone.

However at least in FortiOS 6.x you can also make your FGT store logs to an external syslog server, a FortiManager or a FortiAnalyzer. 

https://docs.fortinet.com/document/fortigate/6.0.0/handbook/379128/advanced-logging describes this.

-- 

"It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes." - Douglas Adams

-- "It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes." - Douglas Adams
Labels
Top Kudoed Authors