Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
wsgk
New Contributor

Fortigate 80C boot fail after the firmware update and CLI connection problem.

Hello everyone!

I have some problem with my Fortinet 80 C, it doesn't boot after firmware update. When I restarting it only "status" led diode blinking on green and after few second all internal ports blinking one second and status led changing color on red and this is happening over and over again...  I read i should try restore firmware image by tftp server, but another problem is I cannot connect to cli interface now, I get the message "device is used by another program" or something like that (I guess because it is starting up...). Connection options are correct (9600, 8, 1, none, none), because before I joined up.

Is there any way to solve this problem and recover the firmware? I will be grateful.

1 Solution
Dave_Hall
Honored Contributor

If by CLI you mean the console port then make sure you are using an actual rollover or console cable and it is connected to the console port (and not to any other port e.g. modem port) on the 80C. Use Putty or other serial/terminal connection software.  Make sure you are using the correct com(1-7) port in your putty/terminal program -- you shouldn't be getting any error message unless you are using the wrong com port or it is already in use.  (If using a Windows-based computer, go into Device manager and check which actual com ports are available.)  

Turn off the 80C, connect the rollover cable to the console port on the 80C, start your putty/terminal session.  Power up the 80C -- you should see the bios start up sequence.  Watch for any errors.  It is likely (based on your description of the problem) that the flash is corrupted. 

During the boot sequence you should be offered the chance to break into the boot menu.  Let it run through once to see what errors show up before or after it reaches the login prompt.  Reboot the 80C again, this time break into the boot menu.

If you have not already backed up the config, you could try booting the 80C using the alternate backup firmware option and see if it allows you to get to a login prompt and hopefully connect via the GUI.  Otherwise, I would just format the boot device then install a new image via tftp

I would run the HQIP test next.  You can obtain a copy of the HQIP firmware from the download menu option on the support site (after you have logged in).  You will need 4 x crossover cables for this test.

If you are not able to gain access to the 80C via the console port or it never reaches[size="2"] "Press any key to display configuration menu..." or you still get errors after formatting/installing new firmware, you will need to open an RMA ticket -- they will want a log capture of your putty/terminal session showing the errors. [/size]

NSE4/FMG-VM64/FortiAnalyzer-VM/6.0 (FWF30E/FW92D/FGT200D/FGT101E/FGT81E)/ FAP220B/221C

View solution in original post

NSE4/FMG-VM64/FortiAnalyzer-VM/6.0 (FWF30E/FW92D/FGT200D/FGT101E/FGT81E)/ FAP220B/221C
9 REPLIES 9
Dave_Hall
Honored Contributor

If by CLI you mean the console port then make sure you are using an actual rollover or console cable and it is connected to the console port (and not to any other port e.g. modem port) on the 80C. Use Putty or other serial/terminal connection software.  Make sure you are using the correct com(1-7) port in your putty/terminal program -- you shouldn't be getting any error message unless you are using the wrong com port or it is already in use.  (If using a Windows-based computer, go into Device manager and check which actual com ports are available.)  

Turn off the 80C, connect the rollover cable to the console port on the 80C, start your putty/terminal session.  Power up the 80C -- you should see the bios start up sequence.  Watch for any errors.  It is likely (based on your description of the problem) that the flash is corrupted. 

During the boot sequence you should be offered the chance to break into the boot menu.  Let it run through once to see what errors show up before or after it reaches the login prompt.  Reboot the 80C again, this time break into the boot menu.

If you have not already backed up the config, you could try booting the 80C using the alternate backup firmware option and see if it allows you to get to a login prompt and hopefully connect via the GUI.  Otherwise, I would just format the boot device then install a new image via tftp

I would run the HQIP test next.  You can obtain a copy of the HQIP firmware from the download menu option on the support site (after you have logged in).  You will need 4 x crossover cables for this test.

If you are not able to gain access to the 80C via the console port or it never reaches[size="2"] "Press any key to display configuration menu..." or you still get errors after formatting/installing new firmware, you will need to open an RMA ticket -- they will want a log capture of your putty/terminal session showing the errors. [/size]

wsgk
New Contributor

Thanks Dave for your feedback.

Earlier was my mistake, another device blocked fortigate CLI connection - I solved it. So, at the beginning I chosen format option "F" and next, when I was trying install firmware by tftp (I introduced tftp and fortigate addresses) unfortunately I accidentally disconnect the cable... Now, when I try connect to CLI I have got only black screen (in putty). What should I do now?

Dave_Hall
Honored Contributor

wsgk wrote:

[...] unfortunately I accidentally disconnect the cable... Now, when I try connect to CLI I have got only black screen (in putty). What should I do now?

How about..pressing a key?  Reboot the 80C?

wsgk
New Contributor

How about..pressing a key?  Reboot the 80C?

Pressing the keys do not give anything (CTRL+C, F, G, ESC, etc.), reboot the device as well. It does not show any info as before format. It looks as if there was no connection ... I've tried a few times. Eh. :(

Dave_Hall
Honored Contributor

wsgk wrote:

Pressing the keys do not give anything (CTRL+C, F, G, ESC, etc.), reboot the device as well. It does not show any info as before format. It looks as if there was no connection ... I've tried a few times. Eh. :(

LEDs look ok on it?  Status LED not red?  Anyway to confirm the console cable connection is good -- can you connect the cable to another fgt device or other device?  (e.g. Cisco switch/router.)

Before you open an RMA ticket for the 80C, they will want you make rule out other factors (bad console cable/wrong serial settings, loose or faulty power adapter, etc.).

wsgk
New Contributor

Led diode "status" only blinking on green, no any red color. I checked another device (switch D-Link) on that cable and PC and its ok. Connection settings are fine, I sure. Strange situation, ehh... I have second fortigate 80c, but I will be able to check it until Tuesday, so I will let you know. Thanks, Dave, for your interest.

wsgk
New Contributor

I checked another fortigate 80c and it is ok. CLI connection works fine. So, in this situation I can only assume RMA ticket? As it continues to look like? This will be my first ticket.

Dave_Hall
Honored Contributor

Aside from changing power adapters, you pretty much did everything that the RMA department would ask of you.  Open an RMA ticket for the device.

wsgk
New Contributor

Dave Hall wrote:

Aside from changing power adapters, you pretty much did everything that the RMA department would ask of you.  Open an RMA ticket for the device.

Thanks for help, Dave! 

Announcements

Select Forum Responses to become Knowledge Articles!

Select the “Nominate to Knowledge Base” button to recommend a forum post to become a knowledge article.

Labels
Top Kudoed Authors