Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
BastienM
New Contributor

Fortigate 50b can't start

Hello,

I recently got a Fortigate 50b from an old company, i couldn't manage to find the password so i did a factory reset and i downloaded the firmware from fortinet's website, i wanted to install it on the Fortigate but it doesn't start up anymore,

the "status" LED is always on and i can't connect to the CLI using the console cable.

Does any one have a solution ? 

Thank you 

1 Solution
Dave_Hall
Honored Contributor

If COM1 is the only COM port showing up in the Device Manager then perhaps you need to confirm the settings for it in the computer's BIOS.

Other suggestions include: swapping out the console cable, try connecting with another computer/laptop, use a serial-to-USB console adapter.

The thing is if you did format the boot disk (partition), there will be no OS installed (thus there is no GUI to connect to because it doesn't exist) - so you need to gain access to the boot menu via a serial/console connection.

NSE4/FMG-VM64/FortiAnalyzer-VM/6.0 (FWF30E/FW92D/FGT200D/FGT101E/FGT81E)/ FAP220B/221C

View solution in original post

NSE4/FMG-VM64/FortiAnalyzer-VM/6.0 (FWF30E/FW92D/FGT200D/FGT101E/FGT81E)/ FAP220B/221C
11 REPLIES 11
BastienM

update :

I tried it on a customer's laptop who got a COM port, i it works, now the problem i have is that the Fortigate can't get to install the firmware image, but don't worry i'll figure this out.

Thank you for your patience and your help.

ede_pfau

Next step is from the boot menu to upload the firmware image. For this,

- connect a TP cable from the notebook to port 1

the caveat here is that the FGT expects the TFTP server on a specific port, not on any port!

- on the notebook, start up a TFTP server (for instance, tftp64).

- point it's directory to the folder where the firmware image resides

- the FGT will provide DHCP for the notebook

- from the boot menu, start the upload

- once loaded, the FGT will reboot and you should be able to connect to 192.168.1.99 on port1 (via HTTP, HTTPS or ssh).

If you encounter problems come back often.

Ede

"Kernel panic: Aiee, killing interrupt handler!"
Ede"Kernel panic: Aiee, killing interrupt handler!"
Labels
Top Kudoed Authors