Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
RichardBenfatto
New Contributor

Forticlient on Ubuntu 20.04 and Linux Mint 19.3

Hi, been trying to make sense with technical support opening a ticket but I rather say how much nonsense I got back.

I hope that I do not need to become William Shakespeare for somebody to read and understand. English is my third language, that is probably my problem ?

Ok, now to the specifics after my Italian blood is trying to cool down.

During Ubuntu 18.04 or Mint 19.2 or 19.3 the Forticlient would install and run.

I upgraded to Mint 20 (based on Ubuntu 20.04) and the Forticlient installs, create the icon and all look good..............BUT, it will not open the app, does not run.

I am not a programmer hence cannot say much.

All what I wanted was to inform and create awareness to find a future solution, if that was possible.

I hope that whoever reads this may understand, otherwise keine Worte.

It appears that help desks these days are like a firewall to intellect and comprehension.

Fortinet you have an ultra brilliant product, your tech support needs to become that as well.

6 REPLIES 6
sw2090
Honored Contributor

the last time I tried FortiClient in Ubuntu it installed and worked but it completely missed vpn :\

So I have switched to strongswan which is in the ubuntu standard repos. This works fine here and the only thing there is (which doesn't bother me at all) is that there is no gui to configure strongswan. The module for the network-manager in *buntu does support strongswan but it does not support all the parameters that I need for the tunnel.

I haven't yet again tested forticlient in *buntu again so far...

-- 

"It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes." - Douglas Adams

-- "It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes." - Douglas Adams
localhost

A customers is telling us that 'openfortivpn' works well for them.

Should also be in the Ubuntu repositries.

Never tested it myself though..

https://github.com/adrienverge/openfortivpn

sw2090
Honored Contributor

yes this exists indeed...forgot about it sorry.

However afair this one can only do SSL VPN and no IPSEC.

-- 

"It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes." - Douglas Adams

-- "It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes." - Douglas Adams
localhost

For IPSEC I wouldn't use Forticlient, but a native client like openvpn.

sw2090
Honored Contributor

openvpn migt do ipsec but it uses its own settings and afaik will not work with a Fortigate. If anyone can confirm that it does feel encouraged to do so!

As I said I currently use strongswan on Lubuntu 20.04 for IPSEC to our FGTs. Its tricky to set up the config but once it works it works like a charm.

-- 

localhost

Ah sorry.. I thought openvpn was using IPSec. Mixed things up.

"OpenVPN is not compatible with IPSec, IKE, PPTP, or L2TP."

Labels
Top Kudoed Authors