Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
bdbogus
New Contributor

Forticlient keeps asking for Smart Card

I'm using the latest and greatest Forticlient (ver 5.2.2.0624) and I also have installed certificates from a Smart Card I use for other business. However, when I open the the Forticlient and try and use the SSL-VPN, I'll immediately get a prompt to install the smart card. I've verified that "Client Certificate" is NOT checked on the connection settings yet it continues to want and check the client certificates from the Smart Card. Need to find a way to get the Forticlient to NOT check for them without effecting the installed Smart Card certificates.

2 Solutions
Alivo__FTNT
Staff
Staff

Hi everyone,

this issue is planned to be resolved in FortiClient 5.2.4

Best Regards,

Pavel

livo

View solution in original post

iseutens
New Contributor II

This works solution works.

+ Export the FortiClient XML configuration file:

- in FortiClient GUI, select the File -> Settings menu item

- click the Backup button

- provide a file name and directory location

+ Edit the exported configuration file. Add the XML element:

<show_auth_cert_only> in the <vpn> section. Set the value to 1.

Please see pages 33 and 36 of the document:

FortiClient XML Reference

http://docs.fortinet.com/uploaded/files/2076/forticlient-xml-52.pdf

+ Import the modified configuration file back into FortiClient,

using the Restore button in the File -> Settings page.

View solution in original post

14 REPLIES 14
iseutens
New Contributor II

Thanks Pavel,

That's good news.

Do you know when this  new version will be released?

iseutens
New Contributor II

This works solution works.

+ Export the FortiClient XML configuration file:

- in FortiClient GUI, select the File -> Settings menu item

- click the Backup button

- provide a file name and directory location

+ Edit the exported configuration file. Add the XML element:

<show_auth_cert_only> in the <vpn> section. Set the value to 1.

Please see pages 33 and 36 of the document:

FortiClient XML Reference

http://docs.fortinet.com/uploaded/files/2076/forticlient-xml-52.pdf

+ Import the modified configuration file back into FortiClient,

using the Restore button in the File -> Settings page.

nicolecurioni

Thanks for the workaround. I've tried uploading the edited XML file into the program via CLI, because I cannot open the program normally (since i'm getting the silly Smart Card error). But for some reason, while trying to run the FortiClient.exe into the command prompt i'm getting Acces Denied. (yes i'm using Admin user).

Any ideas? Thanks a lot!

kwik
New Contributor

Hi Pavel,

When will FortiClient 5.2.4 been released?

I've tried the workaround, but I still have the same annoying Smart Card messages.

jonwood_mt
New Contributor

Hey there,

I totally get how frustrating that can be. It sounds like Forticlient is being pretty stubborn about wanting that Smart Card. I’ve had a similar issue before, and here’s what worked for me:

1. Check the Certificate Store: Sometimes, Forticlient pulls certificates from the Windows certificate store. Even if “Client Certificate” isn’t checked in the settings, it might still be detecting the certificates from your Smart Card. You could try temporarily removing the Smart Card certificates from the store to see if that stops the prompt.

2. Registry Tweak: There’s a registry setting that might help. Open `regedit` and navigate to `HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Fortinet\FortiClient\FA_FCSSLVPN`. Look for a key named `CheckClientCert`, and make sure its value is set to `0`. If it’s not there, you can create it as a DWORD value and set it to `0`.

3. Reinstall Forticlient: Sometimes a clean reinstall can clear up weird settings or glitches. Uninstall Forticlient, restart your machine, and then install it again. Make sure you’re using the latest version when you do this.

4. Contact Support: If none of these steps work, it might be worth reaching out to Fortinet support. They’re usually pretty responsive and might have a solution specific to the version you’re using.

Hope one of these helps! Good luck!

Labels
Top Kudoed Authors