Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
SteveRoadWarrior
New Contributor III

Forticlient Web Filtering blocks .local domains as 'newly observed'

Forticlient 5.6.2 blocks *.local domains as 'newly observed'. 

I can't log into VMWare console now.

Also, there's no category for this to be allowed.  Where in the EMS server is the setting to "allow" or "warn"?  EMS server is not completely up to date.

1 Solution
tanr
Valued Contributor II

It's a bad known issue, with no solution posted yet that I'm aware of.

See https://forum.fortinet.com/tm.aspx?m=154312 for a recent discussion.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
SteveRoadWarrior
New Contributor III

and trying to allow the DNS name at FortiGuard gets me: The submitted URL doesn't match a valid URL pattern

tanr
Valued Contributor II

It's a bad known issue, with no solution posted yet that I'm aware of.

See https://forum.fortinet.com/tm.aspx?m=154312 for a recent discussion.

tanr
Valued Contributor II

Looks like FortiClient 5.6.3 just got released.

Under "Resolved Issues" it has:

460107 Client is blocking Newly Observed Domains but web filter categories are off.

Still a page and a half of "Known Issues", including some I'm not sure about like:

447838 b1151: Cannot log in SSL VPN from FortiClient web console input username/password

but directly command in PC cmd window log in successfully.

SteveRoadWarrior

I see that too.  Thanks for the update.

I've started a case while I test with 5.6.3

My updates will be in the thread you mention above...

SteveRoadWarrior

We gave up and had to turn off all "Malicious" site blocking, relying on the FortiGates to block those sites instead.

Fine for in-office, leaves the machines more vulnerable when they take them home.

There are other site blocking systems protecting those mobile devices.  Security has layers like an onion.

Announcements

Select Forum Responses to become Knowledge Articles!

Select the “Nominate to Knowledge Base” button to recommend a forum post to become a knowledge article.

Labels
Top Kudoed Authors