Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
CoolKiwiBloke
New Contributor II

Forticlient VPN: A JavaScript Error Occurred in the Main Process

I have been successfully using the Forticlient VPN for some time now. Today I upgraded to the latest version and since then I have been receiving the following error. I have uninstalled, reinstalled, added the latest MS C++ redistributables and am still getting this error. Any suggestions?

Forticlient.PNG

24 REPLIES 24
jbatcmb

We are still seeing the Javascript errors on Version 7.0.7.0345

jbatcmb_0-1668459380324.png

devo123
New Contributor

I faced the same issue. Took me 2 days to figure out what went wrong. After reading a lot of articles visual c++ was causing issue. So I installed 2015-2022 and now its working fine. Pasting the link to download visual c++ here. 

https://aka.ms/vs/17/release/vc_redist.x64.exe

voiturefrancaise
New Contributor II

The error returned as if it hasn't been gone. Unfortunately the same error.

FranFisc1
New Contributor II

One year later,
FortiClient VPN 7.2.1..
and I am still facing the same error !
I connected to the FortiGate WebVPN portal i.e.  https://vpn.acmecompany.xyz and clicked on "Launch FortiClient".
This starts the (already installed) FortiClient Executable on the PC with one argument:
(thanks to sysinternals for their process explorer ;)

"C:\Program Files\Fortinet\FortiClient\FortiClient.exe" "forticlient:///?hostname=vpn.acmecompany.xyz&"

Trying this on the cmd line in Windows,
I found that FortiClient.exe only starts up successfully if the command is executed in the directory "C:\Program Files\Fortinet\FortiClient".

If FortiClient exe is started from an other directory, the JS error above is displayed.

The argument where to connect to seems to be ignored in any case....

I can understand that the free FortiClient VPN is not TAC supported, so I cannot open an SR.
And I understand that FORTINET wants to sell their EMS and FC Licenses,
but I would appreciate a lot, if at least basic functionality
like launching the executable from a browser and initiating a connection to the hostname
would work with the free version... 

If configured correctly, it works. The reverse conclusion does not apply necessarily.
If configured correctly, it works. The reverse conclusion does not apply necessarily.
GeoKot

Its how @FranFisc1 writes. I have the same error after setting up the VPN Portal and also deploy the FortiClient VPN via intune. This is a basic functionality and should not be only supported or fixed if you have an EMS subscription. 

Labels
Top Kudoed Authors