Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
Not applicable

Forticlient Network Startup delay in Windows 7 x64

Symptoms: After Windows start and logon, it takes up to 5 Minutes until Network Interfaces (LAN and/or WLAN) get online and their IPs. Until there network has just a red x. An ipconfig /all in this situation does also not show them. Reproducibility: Always, uninstallation of FortiClient solves the Problem Facts: FortiClient 4.1.2.132 and 4.1.2.138 Windows 7 x64 Enterprise and Ultimate No special component of FortiClient, happens also with just WebFilter Its a really burning issue to me, cause i need FortiClient for my work
18 REPLIES 18
Carl_Wallmark
Valued Contributor

Hi, i had those problems too, try to first do a repair on forticlient. if that´s not working, uninstall your network adapter through Device Manger, and then install again using " Scan for Hardware" , it worked for me, and now all my issues are gone

FCNSA, FCNSP
---
FortiGate 200A/B, 224B, 110C, 100A/D, 80C/CM/Voice, 60B/C/CX/D, 50B, 40C, 30B
FortiAnalyzer 100B, 100C
FortiMail 100,100C
FortiManager VM
FortiAuthenticator VM
FortiToken
FortiAP 220B/221B, 11C

FCNSA, FCNSP---FortiGate 200A/B, 224B, 110C, 100A/D, 80C/CM/Voice, 60B/C/CX/D, 50B, 40C, 30BFortiAnalyzer 100B, 100CFortiMail 100,100CFortiManager VMFortiAuthenticator VMFortiTokenFortiAP 220B/221B, 11C
Not applicable

Confirmed on two machines. The FortiClient repair did not help, but uninstall reinstall network card driver helped.
Carl_Wallmark
Valued Contributor

Nice !

FCNSA, FCNSP
---
FortiGate 200A/B, 224B, 110C, 100A/D, 80C/CM/Voice, 60B/C/CX/D, 50B, 40C, 30B
FortiAnalyzer 100B, 100C
FortiMail 100,100C
FortiManager VM
FortiAuthenticator VM
FortiToken
FortiAP 220B/221B, 11C

FCNSA, FCNSP---FortiGate 200A/B, 224B, 110C, 100A/D, 80C/CM/Voice, 60B/C/CX/D, 50B, 40C, 30BFortiAnalyzer 100B, 100CFortiMail 100,100CFortiManager VMFortiAuthenticator VMFortiTokenFortiAP 220B/221B, 11C
TopJimmy
New Contributor

I' ve noticed it too but only when the Firewall module was installed. If you left that out of the install (in my case, it was just a AV install) then it didn' t have a problem. I also didn' t notice it on the 32-bit installs. It' s probably related to the virtual driver Fortinet uses. I would suspect that 4.1.3 will fix it and it' s due any day now.
-TJ
-TJ
Oberon
New Contributor

same issue on my machine (Win7x64), only IP-Sec VPN installed. Reinstall the networkcard and it works again! :) Thanks for the info. kr Ralph
Private Use: Fortigate-50B, 4.00-MR3, NAT/IPsec-VPN/SSL-VPN
Private Use: Fortigate-50B, 4.00-MR3, NAT/IPsec-VPN/SSL-VPN
Not applicable

I am also experiencing issues with this on the x86 version of windows 7 and the only component that I am installing is the VPN. This is causing us massive problems and it' s holding us back from rolling out our new remote working solution. Like Stephan I have to wait for a couple of minutes for the network adaptor to connect to the network before logging on, during which time all my group policy setting applied to the computer haven' t been picked up because the network adaptor is dead. I really need a fix for this..
Not applicable

from Krisnanath Sivasankar to All Participants: ID : 118260 from Krisnanath Sivasankar to All Participants: the issue is reported and development team is working on this, this will be fixed in next patch and please keep note of the ID from Krisnanath Sivasankar to All Participants: you can check the release notes to know whether the issue is fixed from Colin Armstrong to All Participants: Thank you. That' s great news, do you know when the next release is? from Krisnanath Sivasankar to All Participants: should be released in end of march
Christian_Bootz
New Contributor

It seems that the network startup delay problem also concerns the " Fortinet virtual adapter" . I' m also using Windows 7 professional x86. On the one hand the problem seems to be solved after reinstalling network adapter drivers, like described in former messages in this thread. But it is not possible yet to establish an ipsec connection within the first minutes after starting windows. After waiting 3 to 5 minutes the vpn connection is working fine. However, this case cannot be solved by reinstalling Fortinet virtual adapter because it is impossible to reinstall this adapter after removing it in device manager. If you have done this before you have the only possibility to add the virtual adapter again by reinstalling FortiClient.
Not applicable

I am affraid the network startup problems related to Forticlient on Windows 7 64bit have not been resolved. I am also having the same problem. I had to use the Fortinet Client for my remote work (only VPN) for a while but I actually no longer need it now. I have therefore uninstalled Fortinet client completely from my Windows 7 (64bit) laptop and now it takes ages (usually much more than 5 minutes) for either of my network cards (standard NIC and wireless) to obtain IP from a DHCP and furthermore - even when it does get the IP, it takes ages (around 3-5 minutes) for applications, that use Winsock (such as web browsers) to perform DNS resolution and eventually connect to the Internet and every time I start a new web browser tab, it keeps resolving DNS for ages before it attempt to load the page... I have reset Winsock as well, using the netsh commands as well as removed network cards from the computer and re-installed the drivers and still no luck. I have the following observations: - when I reboot the computer and have either wireless or LAN ready, then the network will be available immediately (i.e. computer will obtain the IP from DHCP during boot-up), however the network status tray icon will show there is no Internet connectivity. As soon as I start browsing and wait ages until the first page comes up, the tray icon immediately removes the exclamation mark showing Internet connectivity but I still have to struggle with the long DNS resolution problem. - as soon as I disable LAN or wireless (i.e. manually or laptop goes to hibernate mode) and re-enable it again, I have to wait ages for the computer to obtain IP address and further ages for the web browser to be able to resolve DNS and browse the Internet - this makes the computer useless for networking.... - I also noticed that since this happened, the svchost.exe (one amongst many) process associated with WwanSvc (Automatic wireless WAN configuration), MpsSvc (Windows Firewall), DPS (diagnostic policy) and BFE (filtering) services, is consuming a lot of processor (around 25-30%), which was never the case before. I hope someone (i.e. Fortinet) will eventually post the solution soon as working with my laptop became extremely painful if not at all impossible.
Labels
Top Kudoed Authors