Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
FortiMax_it
Contributor

Forticlient 7.0.7 : VPN before Windows logon popup information

Hi,
I have installed Forticlient 7.0.7 on several domain PCs used off site connected to a Forticlient EMS 7.0.7 server.
I set that when the PC is turned on, without the user having to perform any interaction, the VPN IPSEC starts automatically and connects to our Fortigate. In this way users can login to the domain without having to manually connect the VPN. Here the tunnel configuration:

FortiMax_it_0-1671668206104.png

My problem is this: the PC is shared by many operators who were used to go to the Forticlient shield symbol on the Windows 10 login screen, select the only available VPN tunnel and enter their domain credentials.
With the automation that I have configured many users do not wait those 15 seconds necessary for the VPN to go up automatically and go to force the VPN from the shield, creating problems with the VPN connection since the PC tries the connection by itself but at the same time the operator force VPN from login button.

With this configuration, when the IPSEC VPN goes up at login, a popup similar to this appears (not always) for an instant with something like "IKE negotation successfully",
Screenshot_58.png 
it disappears but then absolutely nothing is shown that makes the user understand that he is connected to the VPN:

FortiMax_it_4-1671670092524.png

and when the operators perform the shift change they keep disconnecting and reconnecting the VPN.
The Ipsec VPN is not nominative, it is a service to connect PCs.
The employees don't know the key.

When the PC is turned on and the VPN goes up it doesn't even show "Connected" on the shield screen and this misleads the person at the PC:

FortiMax_it_3-1671670045101.png

My request is this: is it possible to show a symbol, anything at windows 10 login which shows unequivocally that the VPN Ipsec with the Forticlient is up?

6 REPLIES 6
Anthony_E
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hello Max,

Thank you for using the Community Forum.

I will seek to get you an answer or help. We will reply to this thread with an update as soon as possible.

Regards,

Anthony-Fortinet Community Team.
Anthony_E
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hello Max,

We are still looking for someone to help you.

We will come back to you ASAP.

Regards

Anthony_E
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hello,

When you are not connected to a VPn, the logo is like that:

Anthony_E_0-1672749087778.png

Once connect to a VPN:

Anthony_E_1-1672749147901.png

you have this little shield.

Is it what you were asking for?

Regards,

FortiMax_it
Contributor

Hi Anthony,

no, what I mean is the login before logon. I am attaching a video so you can understand what my problem is.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1LAzzkVkTXCqPI2xAA9oEgBkX8FX69Li6/view?usp=sharing 

In the video we also see that the VPN Tunnel section is not updated with "Connected" and there is nothing to indicate that we are in VPN, except for a very brief change of the network icon. And back to my problem: "is it possible to show a symbol, anything at windows 10 login which shows unequivocally that the VPN Ipsec with the Forticlient is up?"

FortiMax_it
Contributor

Hi Fortinet support, have you managed to check why the state of the VPN is not updated to the login screen when you turn on your PC?

Anthony_E
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hello Max,

I am still try to find somebody to answer this question.

We come back to you ASAP.

Regards,

Labels
Top Kudoed Authors