Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
Bobo_Engineer
New Contributor

Forticlient 6.4 (SSLVPN) not working on Ubuntu 18

Hi all

I have to install FortiClient 6.4 on ubuntu server 18.0 for remote access vpn but it's not working. Please see log information below. Please advice.

------------ Create VPN Profile ERROR"Failed to save client certificate password. Cannot autolaunch D-Bus without X11 $DISPLAY"-------------------------------------- administrator@forticlient01:~$ /opt/forticlient/fortivpn edit CTH-VPN-SSL ===================== Create new VPN profile: CTH-VPN-SSL ===================== Remote Gateway: XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX Port [default=443]: 10443 Authentication (1.prompt / 2.save / 3.disable) [default=1]: 2 Username: username Client Certificate (.p12 file URL) [default=None]: Do not Warn Invalid Server Certificate (y/n) [default=n]: y Failed to save client certificate password. Cannot autolaunch D-Bus without X11 $DISPLAY DONE. administrator@forticlient01:~$ ------------------ Check SSLVPN profile-------------------------------- administrator@forticlient01:~$ /opt/forticlient/fortivpn list VPNs: Personal VPNs: CTH-VPN-SSL

-------------------- Connect SSLVPN ----------------------------------- administrator@forticlient01:~$ /opt/forticlient/fortivpn connect CTH-VPN-SSL Connect VPN: CTH-VPN-SSL password: Failed to set creadential. Cannot autolaunch D-Bus without X11 $DISPLAY DONE. administrator@forticlient01:~$

1 Solution
sw2090
Honored Contributor

it won't help. The problem is (it is in you errorlog) that FortiClient is not designed for use on a linux server. That is why it has the "Client" in its name ;)

FortiClient requires a running gui (i.e. X11 or X.org) on your linux which a linux server usually doesn't have since that would be a huge waste of resources and of no use as you usually acess aserver only via web or ssh or similar where you cannot use the gui anyways.

You would have to use some alternative. However I cannot tell you much on that as I am only using IPSec but never did sslvpn with a FGT on linux.

Just looked it up on the net. There used to be a forticlient cli version whch was included with forticlient linux but it seems not to exist anylonger in 6.4.x.

However there is  openfortivpn included in ubuntu which can connect on cli:

https://serverfault.com/q...h-ubuntu/922767#922767

-- 

"It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes." - Douglas Adams

View solution in original post

-- "It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes." - Douglas Adams
4 REPLIES 4
marchand
New Contributor III

Try installing gnupg2 , see if it helps .

apt-get install gnupg2

sw2090
Honored Contributor

it won't help. The problem is (it is in you errorlog) that FortiClient is not designed for use on a linux server. That is why it has the "Client" in its name ;)

FortiClient requires a running gui (i.e. X11 or X.org) on your linux which a linux server usually doesn't have since that would be a huge waste of resources and of no use as you usually acess aserver only via web or ssh or similar where you cannot use the gui anyways.

You would have to use some alternative. However I cannot tell you much on that as I am only using IPSec but never did sslvpn with a FGT on linux.

Just looked it up on the net. There used to be a forticlient cli version whch was included with forticlient linux but it seems not to exist anylonger in 6.4.x.

However there is  openfortivpn included in ubuntu which can connect on cli:

https://serverfault.com/q...h-ubuntu/922767#922767

-- 

"It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes." - Douglas Adams

-- "It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes." - Douglas Adams
Bobo_Engineer

Dear all , thank you for your advice. 

rafish
New Contributor

You are absolutely right: openfortivpn is amazingly simple to use in CLI. 

Labels
Top Kudoed Authors