Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
MVIOX
New Contributor

FortiWifi > Netgear AC Router/AP

I love the ease of use with the FortiWIFI device 60D; however, I believe that the Netgear R6300 AC router has a bit more power and broadcasts a larger more sustainable wireless signal. Not to mention the AC router is afterall the updated 802.11AC protocol. FotiWifi is more secure and better suited to handle traffic to each of the LANs I have in place. Now to the question: Is it possible to control the Netgear as a dumb AP from the FortiWifi 60D by simply shutting off NAT and DHCP on the router (Netgear)? If not, can you recommend steps? I noticed there was a thread posted earlier about a FortiGate and Netgear post; however, I didn' t want to impose my own issues under theirs.
4 REPLIES 4
Bromont_FTNT
Staff
Staff

You would turn DHCP off, and connect one of the 5 lan ports on the Netgear to the FWF. The Netgear has concurrent dual band coverage which is nice (although you also get that on many of the FortiAPs)
MVIOX
New Contributor

In searching to find an answer, I located a tutorial that explains how to set the R6300 from netgear to an AP. This works perfectly and connects through the 60D. However, it only looks like it works as a standalone AP. Next issue is getting the 60D to control the APs SSID and verification functions (if possible).
MVIOX
New Contributor

Thanks Bromont! Yeah it was a bit simpler than I had imagined. Actually, on the Netgear once placed in AP mode, it bridges all 6 connections (WAN & LAN). Connecting the WAN (netgear) to LAN (60D) allows the netgear to understand that it IS connected to the internet for firmware updates. Otherwise, it shows as being disconnected from the internet even though you have perfect connectivity.
Bromont_FTNT
Staff
Staff

Only FortiAPs can be controlled by the Fortigate/wifi
Labels
Top Kudoed Authors