Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
veclempt
New Contributor

FortiWifi 90D - Can't Connect WAN1 to Thomson DCM476 Modem (bridged)

I am trying to setup a FortiWifi 90D.  My Internet connection consists of a dynamic IP provided by a Thomson DCM476.  The modem works fine with my old Asus router.  I followed the directions in the cookbook to setup NAT/Route mode on the FortiWifi, but I can't get the wan1 light on the FortiWifi to light or get an IP from the modem with dhcp or a static IP.  I tried setting wan1 up with a static IP from my ISP.  Each time I reset the modem, it attempts to connect (connecting ... message), but eventually it gives me a "fail" message.  The status of wan1 has not changed from "down". 

I have tried a number of things:

- factory reset the FortiWifI

- reset the Thomson modem

- Mac lock the modem

- switching cables (I have tried 5 different ones)

- cloning the MAC address of my old router

but I am out of answers at this point.  It is concerning that the wan1 light won't even light up.  Any help would be appreciated.

13 REPLIES 13
ericli_FTNT

veclempt wrote:

Yes, it is what is currently hooked-up.

So can you try to connect one of the ports on the router with WAN1 on the FortiWifi 90D?

brycemd

Have you tried connecting WAN2 or any other port on the 90D to the modem?

ie, is it an issue specifically with WAN1 or does the 90D just have some sort of issue with that device.

Dave_Hall
Honored Contributor

@Mike

Have you actually tried forcing the duplex/speed on WAN1 port? 

eg. (from the CLI)

config system interface edit "wan1" set speed 100full next end

What status do you get from WAN1 when the modem connected to that port when you run (on the CLI):

diag hardware deviceinfo nic wan1

Personally, I would still suspect an autonegotiation issue (even though both sides seem to support it), a quick test would to stick a small switch between the two devices and see if the Fortigate get's an IP.

NSE4/FMG-VM64/FortiAnalyzer-VM/6.0 (FWF30E/FW92D/FGT200D/FGT101E/FGT81E)/ FAP220B/221C

NSE4/FMG-VM64/FortiAnalyzer-VM/6.0 (FWF30E/FW92D/FGT200D/FGT101E/FGT81E)/ FAP220B/221C
doestergaard
New Contributor

I have the exact same issue! I suspect the problem to be the modem having some stp going on that discards it because wan1 and wan2 does not participate in stp. Configuring one of the switch ports as a wan port will fix it tho, but not ideal

Labels
Top Kudoed Authors