Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
Aaron_Berger
New Contributor

FortiWifi 60C - how to update firmware?

Hey Guys I hope everyone is having a great Friday! I have a FortiWIfi 60C running firmware v4.0,build5806,110526 (MR2) Patch 7. I would like to upgrade to firmware 4.3.15 (I heard version 5.05 has a big change). I understand the supported upgrade path is: 4.0 MR2 patch7 Build # 324 -> 4.3.6 -> 4.3.11 -> 4.3.15 I have never upgraded the Fortigate firmware before so I was wondering how I do it? Can I do it through the GUI or does it need to be done by command line? Do I have to reset the firewall to defaults to do it or can I just apply the upgrades? Is there anything I should watch out for so I don' t get a corrupted update? What about my ssl vpn clients will I need to update their desktop ssl client apps to suit the new firmware? Where should I start? Kind Regards Aaron
Save the world.
Save the world.
2 REPLIES 2
ede_pfau
Esteemed Contributor III

hello, and welcome to the forums. You' ve already read into the upgrading process and know the recommended upgrade path. These recommendations are only important to conserve and potentially convert the existing configuration to the new version' s requirements. If you didn' t care (a.k.a. start from factoryreset) then you could just as well install the final version and start over to configure the device. Upgrading can well be done via GUI. Take these steps: • Backup the current configuration (in plain text form, i.e. non-encrypted). You' ll need it later. • Get the firmware images onto disk first. • READ the Release Note for the next planned firmware version. Partly it' s copied stuff but it also contains hints where and how the configuration has changed (syntax, constructs etc.). Also, which hardware is supported by this release. • Next, REBOOT the FGT to make sure the highest amount of free memory is available. • Start to upgrade to the next version. • After reboot, backup the config and compare it to the previous config. Decide whether the changes made are what you' ve intended, check new parameters etc. • Repeat these 2 steps until you have reached the desired final version. • Test, test, test. It might be wise to search the forums for a particular version before running into bugs. Not all bugs known will apply to your case, though. So, even if v5.0 is subject of a heap of postings ever since GA it might work for you - if you desperately need the new features. If not, 4.3.15 is a rock solid choice. Come back if you have any further questions.

Ede

"Kernel panic: Aiee, killing interrupt handler!"
Ede"Kernel panic: Aiee, killing interrupt handler!"
Aaron_Berger
New Contributor

REBOOT the FGT to make sure the highest amount
Hey Ede Many thanks for your reply. I was considering doing this upgrade remotely but from your notes I think I should do this onsite. Kind Regards Aaron
Save the world.
Save the world.
Labels
Top Kudoed Authors