Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
SecurityPlus
Contributor II

FortiWiFi Wireless Coverage

We have a customer that has a Cisco RV 180W wireless router. In addition to routing the Cisco device provides wireless to the office. We would like to replace it with a FortiWiFi 50E. The Cisco device provides good coverage in spite of the fact that some of the offices are some distance from the Cisco network closet. Does anyone have an estimate concerning the wireless coverage provided by the Cisco device vs. a FortiWiFi 50E. I don't want to sell the customer an excellent firewall but not provide adequate wireless coverage.

By the way I see a FWF-50E-2R device listed here:

https://www.fortinet.com/content/dam/fortinet/assets/data-sheets/FortiGate_FortiWiFi_50E_Series.pdf

Is this a 2 radio FortiWiFi? Does anyone know if this affects range?

4 REPLIES 4
Toshi_Esumi
Esteemed Contributor III

Yes, that's the rare 2 RADIUS FortiWiFi although I haven't seen it myself. But if you put it in a closet, the coverage, especially 5GHz, would drop significantly. I would recommend getting FG50E+one of indoor FortiAP then installing the FAP outside the closet.

Toshi_Esumi
Esteemed Contributor III

Meant to type RADIO not RADIUS. Sorry.

SecurityPlus

So this provides a 2 radio instead of a 1 radio wireless signal. I presume that this would give the greater range of the 2.4GHz and the faster speed of the 5GHz at the same time, is that correct?

It is not critical that they have good 5GHz coverage. If 2.4GHz coverage is adequate, that would likely be OK and is likely what their wireless devices are using anyway due to the distance. I would prefer to use a FortiAP as well but the issue is the FortiAP installation complexity.

Is there any feedback that you or anyone else can provide concerning the FortiWiFi coverage vs. other wireless devices like the Cisco RV 180W?

Toshi_Esumi
Esteemed Contributor III

It doesn't give you anything "greater" 2.4GHz than all other FortiWiFi single RADIO devices. I still discourage putting any AP in a closet.

Labels
Top Kudoed Authors