Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
londonnet
New Contributor III

FortiWiFi 60D-POE missing packet capture tool

Im running V5.2.4 build0688 150722 GA on my FortiWiFi 60D-POE but the packet capture feature is missing from the menu.

I have read that you can get to the packet capture util directly via a URL which works but the GUI should have a link to it.

Do you have to enable this now like you do with other GUI features?

Thanks

1 Solution
londonnet
New Contributor III

I opened a ticket as I think I read the same and the fortinet tech pointed me to the following:

Please be advised that from version 5.2 Packet Capture is no longer available from the GUI. It uses flash memory on device which is not available for logging(flash-based logging) and packet capture on 5.2.X release, please read page 18 of release notes on below link.

https://info.fortinet.com/files/FortiOS/v5.00/images/build0589/fortios-5.2.0-release-notes.pdf

Fortigate is discouraging the use of flash memory on low end devices. The reasons for this is because the flash memory on devices are not designed for constant read/writes, so saving logs or capturing packets to it can degrade the disk (resulting in corrupted sectors).This feature was already removed (from GUI) on first 5.2.0 GA release so it's not just 5.2.4 which is missing this feature. The link I provided is for a reference only.  The following models are affected.  • FG-100D (P09340-04 or earlier)  • FG-20C  • FG-20C_ADSL_A  • FG-200B/200B_POE (Without FSM)  • FG-300C_Gen1 (P09616-04 or earlier)  • FG-40C  • FG-60C  • FG-60C-POE  • FG-60C-SFP  • FG-70D  • FG-60D  • FG-80C/80CM (P05403-05, P05446-05)  • FW-20C  • FW-40C  • FW-20C_ADSL_A  • FW-60CX_A  • FW-60C  • FW-60CM (P08962-04 or later)  • FW-60CX_ADSL-A  • FW-60D  • FW-60D-POE  • FW-80CM (P05405-06 or later) 

I have suggested why not write the logs and captures to an external USB drive. Just an idea. The capture tool is useful

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
Chris
Contributor

As far as i've read in the forum it's a known problem/question since V5.2.0

I think it has been disabled since they have many flash errors like with disklogging to flash.

They should at least write it if it is so.

londonnet
New Contributor III

I opened a ticket as I think I read the same and the fortinet tech pointed me to the following:

Please be advised that from version 5.2 Packet Capture is no longer available from the GUI. It uses flash memory on device which is not available for logging(flash-based logging) and packet capture on 5.2.X release, please read page 18 of release notes on below link.

https://info.fortinet.com/files/FortiOS/v5.00/images/build0589/fortios-5.2.0-release-notes.pdf

Fortigate is discouraging the use of flash memory on low end devices. The reasons for this is because the flash memory on devices are not designed for constant read/writes, so saving logs or capturing packets to it can degrade the disk (resulting in corrupted sectors).This feature was already removed (from GUI) on first 5.2.0 GA release so it's not just 5.2.4 which is missing this feature. The link I provided is for a reference only.  The following models are affected.  • FG-100D (P09340-04 or earlier)  • FG-20C  • FG-20C_ADSL_A  • FG-200B/200B_POE (Without FSM)  • FG-300C_Gen1 (P09616-04 or earlier)  • FG-40C  • FG-60C  • FG-60C-POE  • FG-60C-SFP  • FG-70D  • FG-60D  • FG-80C/80CM (P05403-05, P05446-05)  • FW-20C  • FW-40C  • FW-20C_ADSL_A  • FW-60CX_A  • FW-60C  • FW-60CM (P08962-04 or later)  • FW-60CX_ADSL-A  • FW-60D  • FW-60D-POE  • FW-80CM (P05405-06 or later) 

I have suggested why not write the logs and captures to an external USB drive. Just an idea. The capture tool is useful

Chris

I've almost thought that it's so.

But you're right why they don't make an alternative to store those things to USB.

It is true that the built-in flash for those logging features is not exactly the best solution. But usb should be possible. Is probably a strategic marketing thing.

Thanks for the usefull info.

Now we know why.

emnoc
Esteemed Contributor III

The funny thing you can do this in a juniper SRX and to some degree a  cisco ASA.

PCNSE 

NSE 

StrongSwan  

PCNSE NSE StrongSwan
Labels
Top Kudoed Authors