Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
veechee
New Contributor

FortiWiFi-60C on 4.0MR3 + Intel Dual Band Wireless-AC 7260 = problems

I have a Lenovo ThinkPad T440s with an Intel Dual Band Wireless-AC 7260 card inside (2x2 MIMO antenna), and at the office I am at right now is a FortiWiFi-60C Gen2 running FortiOS 4.3.15. The wireless does not work for my laptop. At best I connect briefly before I get a yellow exclamation point and network problems. I' m forced to use a LAN cable while I am here. I have been through a half dozen airports and other offices with this laptop already with no connection issues experienced. I am not going to bother opening a support ticket with because when I faced a similar problem for months with with this FWF-60C back on FOS 4.0MR2 with certain non-Intel wireless chipsets, support was totally useless. Yet when I upgraded to 4.0MR3 the problem went away. I have just ordered a Ruckus wireless access point to take over wireless duties in this office. I will not be buying any FWF or FAP units in the future because I can' t trust Fortinet to do wireless well. Very happy with FGT line though!
3 REPLIES 3
Bromont_FTNT
Staff
Staff

Wireless is very much improved in v5 firmware, I' d at least give v5 a chance before moving on.
SimplicityForce

I agree with Bromont. We had a lot of trouble with Lenovo computers and FortiWiFi, but since upgrading to version five there have not been any issues.
veechee

I suspected I may get a reply saying version 5 improves upon this. I will move to FOS 5 at some point, but I can only do so when the release is very mature because I can' t risk other problems. My sites are thousands of miles apart and if an upgrade goes badly, it could mean a lot of downtime and a very expensive fix (last minute flights!). Also my Gen 2 FGT/FWF don' t have as much RAM as newer units, and I worry they won' t handle FOS 5 well. I do see 5.0.6 is cited as lowering memory utilization on the smaller units, which is a positive. My point though is Fortinet poorly implemented wireless in 4.0MR2, and just when I thought they improved upon it in 4.0MR3, I am struck again with problems. Once bitten, twice shy.
Labels
Top Kudoed Authors