Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
fatherlu
New Contributor

FortiVoice Check Firewall Test on FVC-70

Was wondering if anyone else can get their check firewall test on a Fortivoice 70 or equivalent system (Talkswitch VSX, etc.)?

For many years, this worked fine. However, recently when I tested the check firewall test, it would not work even though the system works fine (manual port mapped).

If you have an equivalent system, can you test this out and let me know if it works for you? Open up Fortivoice Management Software (I have 7.31.004)/Troubleshooting/Firewall Test.

6 REPLIES 6
Hydro
New Contributor

Yes I have the same issue. Fails on firewall test to reach internet, even though it works fine (except for picking up changes in dynamic IP address). Did you ever sort it out?

fatherlu
New Contributor

Have not resolved the firewall test but failure to do so have not affected the FortiVoice device in anyway. I suspect the that the problem is on Fortinet's side--perhaps the receiving server for the test.

About 8-10 years ago when Talkswitch was still running things, this same thing occurred. The tech person refreshed that server and it worked again. I'm not sure if Fortinet is still using that same system, especially when all FortiVoice products have been pretty much discontinued. I've just accepted that these products are EOL and won't receive any support. So if everything else works, I'm okay.

Hydro
New Contributor

Do you have any remote users? I have one and I do think the firewall check affects the DNS lookup for a dynamic dns public name. My firewall check says it cannot reach the internet. My FVC-70 is on a dynamic address and every time the address changes the FVC does not seem to use the dynamic lookup that I have programmed into the management software. Instead I have to change the address to static and put in my new public ip address and the remote user's phone starts to work again. If you have dynamic dns server and your FVC-70 works I would like to know what I am doing wrong :)

fatherlu
New Contributor

I don't think I had to use remote users very often--but I do have them and they work fine with my dynamic DNS public address. I've probably never encountered what you faced for two reasons. First, my IP rarely changes the public IP address. Second, even if it did (sometimes), I have installed an app like noip.com to update any public IP address changes automatically. For example, I use "test.ddns.net:5035" (this is just a nonworking example) as the address signed up with noip.com (actually, it is more like test.ddns.net then I add my port (which is 5035)) and every time my computer starts up the noip.com app updates the actual numerical address of my public IP, in case that ever changes.

Dynu.com offers a free dynamic DNS service but I like the app in noip.com better. But by using one of those (or others), every time your computer starts it can update the dynamic DNS so your remote user can always connect. I don't know if that will be a workaround for you without having to manually change it when your public IP address changes. We almost have to use workarounds since the FVC is no longer being supported.

Hydro
New Contributor

I use noip.com also and my router automatically updates the ip and points to the proper ip address. I have manually checked the update link I put in the Fortinet management software and in a browser it gives me the proper ip address for my noip address. The remote user's phone uses the dynamic address provided by noip so everything should update properly but the FVC-70 for some reason does not find/use the new ip address properly when it updates even though everything is setup to use it. The internal phones work fine but the remote user has one way conversation issues (i.e. we hear them but they don't hear us, etc.) As soon as I manually switch the ip address in the FVC-70 everything is fine. Another ghost in the machine. Perhaps it is not related to the firewall but I am just concerned that if it is truly failing the internet test and cannot reach the internet, it cannot update the dynamic ip address either.

fatherlu
New Contributor

Your issue (I don't think I have) is probably beyond my troubleshooting expertise. I've never really had to manually update my public IP address in the FVC--it does so automatically. And this is with the FVC firewall test not working. Other than that, I manually port forward as advised by the FVC software.

Labels
Top Kudoed Authors