Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
DirtyBlueshirt
New Contributor II

FortiToken Mobile iOS 8.1.2 and iPhone 6 Plus

I've got a problem registering a FortiToken on my iPhone 6 Plus. When I try to manually enter the code, or scan the QRCode, it fails with a "runtime error". However, my iPhone 5S will register the token without complaint.

Both iPhones are using iOS 8.1.2 and the most recent FortiToken Mobile client.

--- Aaron Slater Security Analyst, Network Engineer, Part-Time Everything Else
1 Solution
edwarneke
New Contributor II

I had issues when moving from iphone 5 to iphone 6. I had to remove secondary auth from my users on the firewall and save the user, then go back in and reassign the secondary auth with mobile token and resend auth email/sms to the user.  May be related, so FYI.

-Ed

dred wrote:

Hi Aaron,

That is strange since the workaround has been applied a bunch of times and fresh install of FTM always works.

Can you please email me your contact number and either I or one of our SEs will contact you to set up a time to shoot the problem.  dredberg@fortinet.com

thanks,

David

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
dred_FTNT
Staff
Staff

Hi Aaron,

This is a known issue and is being worked on.  In the meantime, the workaround is to uninstall FortiToken Mobile and then reinstall.

Also, if you were to copy the app from your old device and then restore it to your iPhone 6 Plus, the old tokens will no longer work. This is by design.  The app uses unique device fingerprint data to protect the stored token seed from copy and restore attacks.  You would in that case have to delete your old tokens (Fortinet and third party) and then re-create them again.    regards,

David

David Redberg Fortinet Product Manager
DirtyBlueshirt

Drour users that ed,

Sorry for the delay reply. Even completely uninstalling and re installing does not fix the issue. Do you know of a timeline for a fix? We're about to roll out FortiClient VPN with FortiToken Mobile, and we can't really do that with this problem. 

dred wrote:

Hi Aaron,

This is a known issue and is being worked on.  In the meantime, the workaround is to uninstall FortiToken Mobile and then reinstall.

Also, if you were to copy the app from your old device and then restore it to your iPhone 6 Plus, the old tokens will no longer work. This is by design.  The app uses unique device fingerprint data to protect the stored token seed from copy and restore attacks.  You would in that case have to delete your old tokens (Fortinet and third party) and then re-create them again.  regards,

David

dred_FTNT
Staff
Staff

Hi Aaron,

That is strange since the workaround has been applied a bunch of times and fresh install of FTM always works.

Can you please email me your contact number and either I or one of our SEs will contact you to set up a time to shoot the problem.  dredberg@fortinet.com

thanks,

David

edwarneke
New Contributor II

I had issues when moving from iphone 5 to iphone 6. I had to remove secondary auth from my users on the firewall and save the user, then go back in and reassign the secondary auth with mobile token and resend auth email/sms to the user.  May be related, so FYI.

-Ed

dred wrote:

Hi Aaron,

thanks,

David

DirtyBlueshirt

This was it! It wasn't enough to re-install the FTM app on the phone, but re-assigning the token in the user profile as well. Thanks for this tip!

edwarneke wrote:

-Ed

dred_FTNT
Staff
Staff

just tested fresh install of FTM again on iPhone 6+ running 8.1.3 (cannot downgrade to 8.1.2).  Assigned FTM token to a user and then activated the token on the iPhone 6+ device by scanning barcode.  Then used new token to for 2FA login.  No issues.

Labels
Top Kudoed Authors