High CPU usage on FortiSwitches can be caused by various factors, including network congestion, software bugs, or misconfigurations. Here are a few steps you can take to lower the CPU usage:
1. Update Firmware: Ensure that your FortiSwitches are running on the latest firmware version. Software updates often include bug fixes and performance improvements that can help reduce CPU usage.
2. Monitor Traffic: Use monitoring tools to analyze network traffic and identify any abnormal patterns or sources of congestion. Excessive traffic can strain the FortiSwitch CPU, so identifying and resolving congestion issues can help lower CPU usage.
3. Check Configuration: Review the configuration of your FortiSwitches and ensure that it aligns with your network requirements. Look for any misconfigurations or unnecessary features enabled that may be causing additional CPU load. Consider optimizing the configuration based on best practices provided by Fortinet.
4. Disable Unused Features: Disable any unused features or services on the FortiSwitch that are not required for your network operations. This can help reduce unnecessary CPU usage.
5. Troubleshoot Network Devices: Check if there are any network devices connected to the FortiSwitches that might be causing excessive traffic or generating unnecessary network requests. Troubleshoot and address any issues with these devices.
6. Contact Fortinet Support: If the issue persists or if you suspect a software bug, consider reaching out to Fortinet support for further assistance. They can provide specific guidance based on your environment and help troubleshoot the high CPU usage problem.
Remember to monitor the CPU usage over time to ensure that the steps you take are effective in reducing the CPU load.
What's the FortiSwitch version running right now? The LLDP process should not consume this amount of CPU. Maybe a reset to the process might help as a workaround, however this might be a behavior that needs to be investigated or has been fixed on an earlier firmware.
"The more I learn, the more I realize how much I don't know"
The Fortinet Security Fabric brings together the concepts of convergence and consolidation to provide comprehensive cybersecurity protection for all users, devices, and applications and across all network edges.