Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
AEK
SuperUser
SuperUser

FortiSwitch-Cisco equivalence

Hello

For companies who want to substitute their old Cisco switches with new FortiSwitches, does anyone have a quick list of equivalence between Cisco switches and FortiSwitches?

I know there is no real equivalence because they have many features that are not the same, but just need an overall equivalence list if any.

AEK
AEK
3 REPLIES 3
Toshi_Esumi
SuperUser
SuperUser

If you're looking for feature comparison between them, which I searched quite intensively about a year ago, I don't think you can find it easily. It's partly because both Cisco switches, like Catalyst series, SF/SG series, CBS series, etc. and FortiSwitches, like above FS-1000 series, and below FS-1000 series, have large collections of hardware classes, which must have different feature sets.

Only I've learned through the search was I had to get actual switches then compare features by trying to configure them.

Toshi

AEK

Thanks @Toshi_Esumi for sharing your experience.

Actually I know such feature comparison is somehow a waste of time, that's why I'm just looking for an overall equivalence list as quick reference.

I'd say 95% of the switches are used by companies without enabling very specific features, and is such situation the Cisco switch can be easily replaced by an "equivalent" FortiSwitch without any issue. That's where such equivalence list may be helpful.

AEK
AEK
Toshi_Esumi
SuperUser
SuperUser

If you're looking for performance comparison, you have to compare numbers on the datasheets. It's not so easy either because there is no "standard" to measure switch performance. There is no reason/incentive for each company to conduct performance comparison tests for different company's products as well.

Toshi

Announcements

Select Forum Responses to become Knowledge Articles!

Select the “Nominate to Knowledge Base” button to recommend a forum post to become a knowledge article.

Labels
Top Kudoed Authors