Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
ted_barker
New Contributor

FortiOS 6.2: memory issues, best approach

Hi, 

I've been running 6.2 Beta and have switched to 6.2 public release, but the memory goes quickly up and system enters conserve mode and the system becomes unusable.

The 61E was running always around 75 to 80% for a couple of months, now with 6.2 the memory increased after an hour to that level and became useless.

What are your experiences and any best approaches with 6.2 troubleshooting (most probably the same as before) and feedback to Fortinet?

23 REPLIES 23
hutchnate
New Contributor

wow what a difference after upgrade to 6.2.1. 82% memory use with 6.2.0 to 35% post upgrade. thanks. 

zaphod
New Contributor III

@billsey

after upgrade to 6.2.1 the memory problems i got are gone (is a 80E) maybe a reset helps in your environment..

greets

zaphod

billsey
New Contributor

A reset gets me back to normal memory usage, for a while. Right n ow I'm back up to 87% and in Conserve mode. :(

A quick "diagnose test application wad 99" took me to 66%, I wonder if my 6.2.1 is an early release (v6.2.1 build0932 (GA)) that didn't have it fixed... Though it says I'm at the latest version.

zaphod
New Contributor III

another way that maybe fix this:

backup your config (but encrypted so passwords and vpn passwords are in it), factory default the forti and import backup after this...

it is the last version, got it running on many fortis now and no problems anymore with conserve mode or memory consumption...

greets

zaphod

krtfransas

Any update on this? has it been fixed on 6.2.1 Firmware? i also got the same issue High CPU usage

zaphod
New Contributor III

it is fixed with 6.2.1

so give it a try.. 

krtfransas

got it. i'll monitor this firmware for the mean time

UrbyTuesday

this seems to keep it under control for me.  even on 6.2.1  they'll creep to 70% depending on what is enabled.  This resets IPS every 6 hours and keeps mem around 55-60%, which I can live with.

config system auto-script edit "IPSReset" set interval 21600 set repeat 0 set start auto set script "diagnose test application ipsmonitor 99" next end

dogan_md

I'm using 90E, I had memory problems in version 6.2, then I switched to 6.2.1. But I'm having the same problem even more often. I couldn't restart the device from the menu when this last problem occurred, I had to unplug the power cord and plug it again.

NickBurns
New Contributor

I'm running a FortiWiFi 30E with OS 6.2.1.  We upgraded all of our FortiGates from 6.0.4 to 6.2.1 a couple months ago (this is the only 30E we have).  I just had an incident today where users connected to the 30E couldn't reach the Internet, and when I logged in, I got the "running on Conserve Mode due to high memory" message.  Memory was above 80%.  I rebooted the device...now memory is around 72%.  When I run 'diag sys top', I do see a "wad" and a couple "ipsengine" processes, but don't know if the numbers beside them are significant or not.

From what I'm reading, perhaps 6.2.1 resolves the issue, but it is still a problem with 30Es?

Labels
Top Kudoed Authors