Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
pcraponi
Contributor II

FortiOS 5.0.10 is out!

No Wireless special firmware yet...

Regards, Paulo Raponi

Regards, Paulo Raponi
40 REPLIES 40
emnoc
Esteemed Contributor III

Thanks  Dave,

I didn't have access to one of my FGT to confirm but I know it was close to being double

PCNSE 

NSE 

StrongSwan  

PCNSE NSE StrongSwan
emnoc
Esteemed Contributor III

In that case 200D is quite unusable.

And do you have any evidence of this? or are you speculating?

my  cisco ASA have 12gig of RAM but are 10gig FW

my  biggest SRX 650s have 2gig   of RAM but are a 7.5gig FW

my 200D are  a 3gig FW

PCNSE 

NSE 

StrongSwan  

PCNSE NSE StrongSwan
FGTuser
New Contributor III

emnoc wrote:

And do you have any evidence of this? or are you speculating?

my  cisco ASA have 12gig of RAM but are 10gig FW

my  biggest SRX 650s have 2gig   of RAM but are a 7.5gig FW

my 200D are  a 3gig FW

Yes, pure speculation based on my experience with lower model 100D/gen1/2GB - conserve mode many times (and very far from datasheet limits). Gen3 with 4 GB is running OK.

2GB is enough for pure L4 FW and that's it.

Your comparison to other vendors doesn't make too much sense to me.

vanc wrote:

Just like 100D, the 200D gen1 has only 2G memory, bug gen2 has 4G.

Thanks for information, so even FTNT realized, that 2GB is not enough.

pcraponi

Maybe Fortinet are changing this.. 300D and 500D has 8GB RAM.

BR,

Paulo Raponi

Regards, Paulo Raponi

Regards, Paulo Raponi
emnoc
Esteemed Contributor III

And those models are  like double and quadruple the performance of a 200B or 200D. These models are also far superior than a 200B bu chassis design. This goes back to the ; "  you have to look at what your doing  or trying to do ".

Your comparison to other vendors doesn't make too much sense to me.

The comparison was to show you similar other vendors devices that has 2gig of memory at  the same/similar  sustain sessions and pps counts. Just saying 2GB is not enough and with no supportive information as to why, doesn't really buy it.

This goes back to you have to really sit down and size the components, & to what you intentions are. This is regardless  of the model. I bet you if you go out and enabled all features and services on a 300D, you too might run into high memory usage and conserve modes.

The proper sizing  is a must & with any firewall type. The numbers FTNT provides on the datasheet and not ideal for ALL cases and scenarios.

PCNSE 

NSE 

StrongSwan  

PCNSE NSE StrongSwan
FGTuser
New Contributor III

I absolutely agree with proper sizing and that combining multiple features will/might bring down the performace, but datasheet values should be relevant at least for single/few features running on FW. Otherwise it's just useless peace of paper.

Somehow you can't understand that 2GB of RAM is not enough for 100D/200D with FortiOS 5.x doing something more than L4 FW only. Even FTNT understood and doubled it .

I will be very specific, what was running on 100D with 2GB RAM when entering conserve mode. Some peak values: - 900 RA IPSec VPN tunnels (18% of datasheet value) - 20 Mbps IPSec traffic (4.4% of datasheet value) - 20 Mbps of explicit web proxy traffic with WF (no caching) - 5k sessions (0.16% of datasheet value)

That's it, no AV, AS, IPS, DLP...even smaller model should do fine.

Regarding other vendors: - my old PIX 515E did 500 RA IPSec VPN tunnels @ 128MB RAM - ASA 5520 did fine @ 512MB of RAM up to IOS 9.2(5), higher requires 2 GB Does it tell anything about FGT? I don't see any way how could we compare different architecture, OS,...

Since we are going quite off topic and there is no need to argue, my last post regarding RAM.

Peace 

emnoc
Esteemed Contributor III

Now we are talking about Ds

Somehow you can't understand that 2GB of RAM is not enough for 100D/200D with FortiOS 5.x doing something more than L4 FW only

Than I must be very  lucky in my   2x100 & 1x 200Ds

Memory has always been tight and high,  but I never had a single performance glitch and they are still running 5.0.6 & 5.0.8 code. They are sized and performing  url filtering, AV inspection on a few policies, ips, and have anywhere from 30-45k sessions as the peak during the day over a 50mbps verizon business solution. But than again these are D  series and not a 200B. So I believe  FTNT is doing thing rights and maybe your over utilized the box or have it configure incorrectly or just plain need to stopping complaining about the 200B performance, and upgrade  or review what your trying to do within that chassis. If it's covered by support, open a case.

So within the 2gig or memory that used for OS and system related items, they are doing great.  As a fact my FGT100/200D are the most stable thing out of all of the Fortigates that I assist or manage. Big thumbs up to FTNT .

PCNSE 

NSE 

StrongSwan  

PCNSE NSE StrongSwan
HA
Contributor

"my  biggest SRX 650s have 2gig   of RAM but are a 7.5gig FW"

Yes on the datasheet !

But in production environment, SRX is one of the slowest box I ever tested ! Completely rubbish...

HA

emnoc
Esteemed Contributor III

Slow in what aspect since you mention it?  (Slow in moving packets across two interfaces, ips,  management gui, commital changes/verifications, etc..... )

Also what have you tested ?

and what results indicate its rubbish?

So the thousands upon thousands  firewall appliance that are out in the world,  enterprise, branch or carrier & that happens to be SRXs are rubbish.

PCNSE 

NSE 

StrongSwan  

PCNSE NSE StrongSwan
billp
Contributor

I upgraded from 5.0.7 to 5.0.10 last night on my 600C.

It went well except that split-tunnel mode for my SSL VPN tunnel no longer routes traffic properly. I can't ping any IPs on the remote side of the tunnel. It sends traffic but I don't seem to be able to receive anything. I have tried using the latest Forticlient for Windows 8.1 as well as the stand-alone SSL client.

Web VPN works fine.

I am going to dig in a bit deeper, but if anyone else had SSL VPN trouble after upgrading, I'd be interested in hearing about your experiences. Has anyone ditched SSL VPN completely for IPSEC? .

I am going to try creating a new VPN portal/tunnel from scratch to see if that helps. 

Bill ========== Fortigate 600C 5.0.12, 111C 5.0.2 Logstash 1.4.1

Bill ========== Fortigate 600C 5.0.12, 111C 5.0.2 Logstash 1.4.1
Announcements

Select Forum Responses to become Knowledge Articles!

Select the “Nominate to Knowledge Base” button to recommend a forum post to become a knowledge article.

Labels
Top Kudoed Authors