Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
ISOffice
Contributor

FortiGuard Licenses Expiring Soon

Hi all,

The FortiGuard licenses (IPS & Application Control, Anti-Virus and Web Filtering) for our FortiGate 100D (v5.2.3 build 670) cluster are due to expire on 15th June 2015. We are currently working with our supplier to get these licenses renewed. However, should they expire, can you tell me what will happen? Will our IPS, Application Control, Anti-Virus and Web Filtering policies cease to function altogether?

Many thanks, John P

1 Solution
Johan_Witters
Contributor

Most features will keep on functioning without problems, eg AV and appcontrol, but will not auto update.

features requiring connection to the Fortiguard servers (category web filtering, antispam) will stop functioning. If you can't get the license renewed in time, I would suggest to temporarily disable those functions.

Johan Witters

Network & Security Engineer

FCNSP V4/V5

BKM NV

View solution in original post

Johan Witters Network & Security Engineer FCNSP V4/V5 BKM NV
5 REPLIES 5
Johan_Witters
Contributor

Most features will keep on functioning without problems, eg AV and appcontrol, but will not auto update.

features requiring connection to the Fortiguard servers (category web filtering, antispam) will stop functioning. If you can't get the license renewed in time, I would suggest to temporarily disable those functions.

Johan Witters

FCNSP V4/V5

BKM NV

ISOffice
Contributor

Hi Johan,

Many thanks for your prompt reply, it has certainly eased my mind. Hopefully our supplier will get this sorted before this weekend but the more I know about the ramifications of an expiring license, the better I'll be at dealing with any problems that arise.

Best regards,

John P

Johan_Witters
Contributor

No problem, glad to help. I've had the same issue a few times as well, or had customers not wanting to renew the licenses. In that case just disable category web filters and check the antispam settings to excuse the options connected to Fortiguard..

IPS and AV can be manually downloaded from the support site, Appcontrol signatures are built into the OS.

Johan Witters

FCNSP V4/V5

BKM NV

ede_pfau
SuperUser
SuperUser

IPS and AV can be manually downloaded from the support site,

Reading such ill advice, I feel the need to mention that a valid subscription costs money because IPS and AV signatures are produced by human beings. We all work for a living and expect to be paid for our efforts. Having the FGT updated automatically or manually is not the point here.

Besides, without a valid support contract you can no longer download signatures. Manual updates are meant for situations where the FGT has no direct access to the internet.

Ede

"Kernel panic: Aiee, killing interrupt handler!"
Ede"Kernel panic: Aiee, killing interrupt handler!"
Johan_Witters

ede_pfau wrote:

IPS and AV can be manually downloaded from the support site,

Reading such ill advice, I feel the need to mention that a valid subscription costs money because IPS and AV signatures are produced by human beings. We all work for a living and expect to be paid for our efforts. Having the FGT updated automatically or manually is not the point here.

Besides, without a valid support contract you can no longer download signatures. Manual updates are meant for situations where the FGT has no direct access to the internet.

Hi Ede,

don't get me wrong, I am a very big fan of support contracts, as it enables access to helpdesk, new and or dynamic features, hardware support etc. I only mentioned the possibility because having the latest AV signatures at all times is a must in some cases, and manually downloading them from the support site is a means to have these signatures while waiting for the paperworks to clear and get the contract active.

Johan Witters

FCNSP V4/V5

BKM NV

Labels
Top Kudoed Authors