Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
omkam
New Contributor II

FortiGate time is out of sync reasons

Can we have possible reasons for FortiGate time out of sync issue.

What are the possible reasons for time out of sync issue.

Omkar
Omkar
8 REPLIES 8
jsarah
Staff
Staff

seems like a new feature is added.

If time difference between ntp obtained time and manually set time is more than 2 mins, then this error message will appear

https://community.fortinet.com/t5/FortiGate/Technical-Tip-FortiGate-time-is-out-of-sync/ta-p/194503

omkam
New Contributor II

Yes I am aware that when time difference between NTP obtained time and manually set time is more than 2 mins, then this error message will appear. 

But what are the causes of this difference?

Can we get any specific reasons for the time difference because of which FortiGate time is out of sync

Omkar
Omkar
Sheikh
Staff
Staff

Hello @omkam,

If it is happening so frequently, I would suggest to check output of these debugs. This might gives you some insights.

diagnose sys ntp status

diagnose debug reset
diagnose debug disable
diagnose debug console timestamp enable
diagnose debug application ntpd -1

regards,

Sheikh

**If you come across a resolution, kindly show your appreciation by liking and accepting it, ensuring its accessibility for others**
omkam
New Contributor II

Yes sure will do it and update.

Just needed the reasons for time out of sync issue.

Omkar
Omkar
adimailig

Hi @omkam 

Good day.
Normally this warning shows when computer time is not the same as Fortigate time - more than 2 minutes difference.
May I verify if your Fortigate Time is manually configured or is it using NTP server?
How about your computer?
I strongly suggest to use same NTP servers for your computer and Fortigate.

Best Regards,

Arnold Dimailig
TAC Engineer
omkam
New Contributor II

The computer was same as IST time, but there was a sudden change in the time zone of Firewall due to which FortiGate time was out of sync.

So just needed the reasons for these changes.

Omkar
Omkar
smaruvala

Hi,

- Was the change in timezone done manually? If there was a configuration change then we should see it in system event logs. make sure you dont use any time filters in system event.

- Were there any changes or activity done on the firewall during the issue time?

Regards,

Shiva

pavankr5
Staff
Staff

Hello @omkam 

If the NTP settings are misconfigured or not properly set up, it can lead to time drift or synchronization problems. Check the NTP server settings and ensure they are accurate and reachable.  Incorrectly configured time zone settings or not accounting for daylight saving time (DST) changes can cause time synchronization issues. Please check this article on FortiGate time is out of sync. 
https://community.fortinet.com/t5/FortiGate/Technical-Tip-FortiGate-time-is-out-of-sync/ta-p/194503

Thanks,

Pavan

Labels
Top Kudoed Authors