Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
Sathapon_SS
New Contributor III

FortiGate action for system maintenance.

Hi,

I have 2 Fortigate 501E that were configured  HA peer. Every 3 months. I have a maintenance window for restarting the server/network. Would it be okay if I also reboot the FortiGate? 

Previously for the maintenance period I only tested failover by CLI "execute ha fallover set 1"

Thank you.

FortiGate 

6 REPLIES 6
AEK
SuperUser
SuperUser

Hi

Restarting the cluster node by node will not impact your traffic if you have enabled session pickup. You just need to wait for the node to come up again before restarting the second node.

AEK
AEK
Sathapon_SS
New Contributor III

Hi @AEK 

Thank you.

DPadula
Staff
Staff

Hi Sathapon_SS,

As mentioned by AEK, it will be fine. Use the maintenance window to test the failover properly, so instead of using the command 'execute ha failover set 1' reboot the primary via 'execute reboot' or if you really want to test the whole solution you can simulate a power outage on the primary device, is always good to make sure you have tested all possible scenarios before the real issue happens.

Regards
DPadula
Sathapon_SS
New Contributor III

Hi @DPadula ,

Thank you.

Toshi_Esumi
SuperUser
SuperUser

I regularly get in the secondary via primary like below then "execute reboot" to reboot the secondary.

https://community.fortinet.com/t5/FortiGate/Technical-Tip-Managing-individual-cluster-units-with-the...

Toshi

Sathapon_SS

Hi @Toshi_Esumi ,

Thank you.

Announcements

Select Forum Responses to become Knowledge Articles!

Select the “Nominate to Knowledge Base” button to recommend a forum post to become a knowledge article.

Labels
Top Kudoed Authors