Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
bmduncan34
New Contributor III

FortiGate, MDF, FortiLink, and 35 FortiSwitches

Anyone out there running a large FGT, like 600E, in the Fortinet "Enterprise/Office Closet" topology with FSW 1000+ at the distribution layer (MDF), and 35 FSW's broken up between multiple IDF's and data center top-of-rack switches, all using Fortilink?  Trying to understand how practical is would be manage that number of switches entirely through FortiGate interface.

Thanks!

1 Solution
M_M_SW
Contributor

use FG-501E build FSW-1024D in FortiLink

and 12* FSW-424D + 34* FSW-224E in ISL (inter-switch links)

and 134 * FAP

connect about 2000-3000 device

now they work all fine.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
M_M_SW
Contributor

use FG-501E build FSW-1024D in FortiLink

and 12* FSW-424D + 34* FSW-224E in ISL (inter-switch links)

and 134 * FAP

connect about 2000-3000 device

now they work all fine.

BrianB
New Contributor III

Two 1500D's in HA A/P

Two 1048D's as distributions using MC-LAG, Fortilink split interface disabled

Forty 448D-POE

One 424D

All using Fortilink with loops

Switch topology take about 20-30 seconds to draw but other than that I have been happy with it.

Fortigates and FortiSwitches all on 6.2 

bmduncan34
New Contributor III

Awesome Brian.  Thank you!  We took the leap and got a pair of 601E's, a pair of 1048E dist switches, and 31 448D-FPOE switches to build seven rings.  Can I ask you what made you go to 6.2.0 on your gates so soon?  I know Fortinet made some Fortilink improvements in 6.2 but didn't you feel it was a bit early to jump on that version?  Just curious.  I put 6.2.1 on my 1048's but I'm keeping my 601's on 6.0.5 for now.

Thanks again!

BrianB
New Contributor III

This was a new build for us. We moved two office locations into a single new building at the end of June. I was a little bit nervous running with 6.2 out of the gate but decided to go for it. We had a couple of weeks to let our design and gear burn in. On the weekend of our move I opened a support ticket in case anything reared its head when I had 800 employees hit the network. Needless to say, the only issue I have encountered is the WAD process causing memory creep. As a work around, I have created an automation stitch to restart the WAD service every day at 3:00 am. This is supposedly fixed in 6.2.1. Other than that I have had no issues at all and am very happy with the performance of everything. This is the largest FortiLink deployment that I have done. Just brought up my remaining switches this week. 44 all together. Two 1048D, 41 x 448D-POE and a 424D. The management of everything is very easy with this setup and the visibility of the network is great.

bmduncan34
New Contributor III

Awesome.  Thanks very much for your input!

Labels
Top Kudoed Authors