Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
SecurityPlus
Contributor II

FortiGate - FortiSwitch vs. Third Party Switches

Beyond the ability to manage the FortiSwitch via the FortiGate console, what other advantages or disadvantages are there to using the FortiSwitch vs. other third party switches such as Cisco, HP, Dell, Meraki, Aruba, etc.?

2 Solutions
James_G
Contributor III

It's all about the fabric

View solution in original post

James_G

6.4 has really made big improvements on iot detection and zero trust models when combined with fortiswitch, have a look through new features. All about the solution working as a single entity through fabric, is the fortidream.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
James_G
Contributor III

It's all about the fabric
SecurityPlus

Thanks! I see the switch in the Security Fabric section of the firewall. I'm likely not making full use of the fabric capability. What other features does the fabric provide other than Mac address, device type, etc.? What best practices are recommended in a FortiGate / FortiSwitch installation to best protect the network?

James_G

6.4 has really made big improvements on iot detection and zero trust models when combined with fortiswitch, have a look through new features. All about the solution working as a single entity through fabric, is the fortidream.
SecurityPlus

I will. Thanks! It sounds as though it is more of a FortiReality. Is 6.4 stable? Is it compatible with FortiOS 6.0.10 on the FortiGate?

Brons2
New Contributor II

Does the IoT detection work if you are using another vendor's APs?

johnevans
New Contributor II

I believe virus scan at the port level. Better topology mapping and security layer. You can manage your whole stack, firewall, switch, and wireless from one spot for easier config, and then you are also dealing with one support group if something happens. For instance, you won't have Cisco pointing at FortiNet and vise versa.

SecurityPlus

James_G, when you said 6.4 has really made big improvements, were you referring to FortiOS 6.4 or FortiSwitchOS 6.4?

Labels
Top Kudoed Authors