Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
pratik_patel
New Contributor

FortiGate - FGSP HA setup using VM evaluation version

Hi, As a part of PoC work for one of our projects, we are evaluating FGSP HA. Currently we are trying to setup HA on ESXi servers with evaluation licenses for FortiGate servers. But the setup for FGSP HA but it did not work. I am not sure if the problem is because of limited VDOMs (trial license has only root VDOM. You cannot add other VDOMs) or it was because of the same serial number provided for FG in trial versions. Can someone please let me know if there is a way to test FGSP HA using evaluation copies? Many Thanks, Pratik
7 REPLIES 7
neonbit
Valued Contributor

Hi Pratik, I' ve run into the same issue when installing brand new VMs in a HA config. What I found to be the problem was that the vSwitch that I created for the HA interfaces did not have promiscuous mode enabled. After I enabled this the FortiGates were able to join the HA cluster.
pratik_patel
New Contributor

Thanks for the suggestions. I quickly checked HA switch configuration and promiscuous is enabled on HA switch. Not sure if I am missing any other configuration. Regards, Pratik
neonbit
Valued Contributor

Sorry I didn' t read your OP properly and see that it was evaluation licenses. I haven' t tried to setup a HA VM with eval licenses before, it' s always been with the proper licenses. I just tried now to configure two HA VMs with the inbuilt 14day eval license and couldn' t get it to work. I keep on seeing a ' Invalid model' command (as per attached). Just to confirm, have you registered and actually loaded in individual 60 day FGT VM licenses (ie: files) to each of the devices, or are you using the 14 day license that comes inbuilt?
FortiRack_Eric
New Contributor III

FortiGate VM will not work in HA without a license. Both units will have the same serial number and therefore 2nd unit will not be able to join.

Rackmount your Fortinet --> http://www.rackmount.it/fortirack

Rackmount your Fortinet --> http://www.rackmount.it/fortirack
neonbit
Valued Contributor

^ yup makes sense; thanks for confirming Eric.
pratik_patel
New Contributor

I was using 14 day license that comes inbuilt. As Eric advised, HA does not work as both devices have same serial number. I have requested a trial license and will try again. Thanks a lot.
FortiMickeal

Hi,

Do you know if it's possible to mount a cluster between a Fortigate VM evaluation and a Fortigate VM with license ?Theoretically yes because they do not have the same SN but just for confirm.

Thanks a lot.

Jordan

Labels
Top Kudoed Authors