Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
TigerBoyPH
New Contributor

FortiGate 61-E POST garbage output

Hi Guys,

I have purchased this new and unlicensed (no tech support) FGT-61E for my personal lab and noticed I keep spitting out garbage out of the console (see screenshot) and goes into a boot loop. It boots fine without the console connected. After booting up, the console does not show any more garbage.

I use the same console cable and port on two 60Ds from APAC JP Fortinets, 100D, and 100F from AMERICAS US Fortinet. I have Cisco 6 Routers, 4 Cisco Switches, 2 Juniper SRXs, 1 Palo Alto 3020 but there are no issues with those devices, only the FGT-61E. I tested a couple of console settings and programs yet still the same result.

Console settings (Putty & Tera Term tested):

1) Baud Rate (bps) 9600, Data bits 8, Parity None, Stop bits 1, and Flow Control None.

2) Baud Rate (bps) 9600, Data bits 8, Parity None, Stop bits 1, and Flow Control XOR

I submitted an RMA request to Fortinet and they already RMAed it twice but I am still getting the same issues. They are offering a third RMA but I already believe this is a global issue with this model.

I already deployed 100s of FGTs from scratch and managed 1000s of units throughout the years and the only time I had this issue is due to a bad chip after years of production life. It is my first time getting an FGT-61E model though so yeah...

Is anyone having the same issue?

Cheers

2 REPLIES 2
sw2090
Honored Contributor

hm all FGT I had here yet (from 80C up to 300E) worked fine (or still do) with usb2serial adaptor and serial connection with 9600-8-N-1 and no flow controls enabled.

If it's already been rma'ed that does not look as if the FGT were the problem. Maybe your cable/adptor or com-port is broken?

-- 

"It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes." - Douglas Adams

-- "It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes." - Douglas Adams
TigerBoyPH

I found it strange as I have 17 other devices in the same lab without the same console output issue (including 4 FGTs). I even acquired a new device (maybe max limit of new devices somewhere?) but that did not exhibit the same issue.

I tried 3 sets of console cables/adapters (even one desktop with a built in one) and still had the same issue.

Labels
Top Kudoed Authors