Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
SecurityPlus
Contributor II

FortiGate 60E - Reset Switch

I'm preparing my first 60E for deployment. This unit came with the new 5.4 firmware. Early in the process of configuring the unit I locked myself out of the firewall. I see a Reset switch on the outside of the firewall enclosure. Can this be used to reset to factory settings? I did not see any information about this switch in the manuals for the 60E. If this can be used how do you perform a reset, i.e. hold the reset switch in with a paperclip while powering up the unit? Is the use of the Reset switch documented somewhere, if so where? Thanks!

1 Solution
Jankenpon

I was also locked out of my 60E, but was able to get it to reset to factory settings.

Hardware:  FortiGate 60E

Firmware:  v5.4.0,build5335 (GA)

Issue:  Lost admin password

Resolution:  Unplugged the 60E, waited 10 seconds, pressed and held the Reset button, plugged the power cable in, held the Reset button for 60 seconds.

Result:  After performing these steps, I was able to log in with default credentials (username 'admin' and blank password).

View solution in original post

13 REPLIES 13
jsemmelroth

Thanks Dave Hall and sw2090.  I acquired a console cable and was able to get what I need with it.  I simply find it odd that there is a reset button which seems to be ineffective.  Of course, I have to assume its me that is being ineffective.  I always test reset buttons when I get new equipment and I never got this one to perform.  Once I have started saving configs to flash drives, I'll try again. 

Dave_Hall

Lucky you do not have one of those small office model fgts (e.g. 30C/40C/60D, etc.) that do not have true console ports - trying to use FortiExplorer and the USB MGMT port to break into the boot menu was next to impossible.  

jsemmelroth wrote:

I simply find it odd that there is a reset button which seems to be ineffective.  Of course, I have to assume its me that is being ineffective.  [...]

NSE4/FMG-VM64/FortiAnalyzer-VM/6.0 (FWF30E/FW92D/FGT200D/FGT101E/FGT81E)/ FAP220B/221C

NSE4/FMG-VM64/FortiAnalyzer-VM/6.0 (FWF30E/FW92D/FGT200D/FGT101E/FGT81E)/ FAP220B/221C
Jankenpon

I was also locked out of my 60E, but was able to get it to reset to factory settings.

Hardware:  FortiGate 60E

Firmware:  v5.4.0,build5335 (GA)

Issue:  Lost admin password

Resolution:  Unplugged the 60E, waited 10 seconds, pressed and held the Reset button, plugged the power cable in, held the Reset button for 60 seconds.

Result:  After performing these steps, I was able to log in with default credentials (username 'admin' and blank password).

TheGridCorp
New Contributor

These steps were performed on one of our 60E's:

1. Power-off the firewall and depress the Reset button - hold it down for 60 seconds as the firewall boots back up.
  2. Release the Reset button
  3. Hold down for another 30 seconds
  4. The Status light should begin flashing and the firewall begins rebooting
  5. The reset process is complete

Labels
Top Kudoed Authors