Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
outsnomate
New Contributor

FortiGate 60D as a main router for 600 mbps connection (no license)

Hello everyone,

I just switched to 600 mbit internet lately and I am looking to upgrade my home network.

I nearly decided to go for a MikroTik RB450Gx4 but I found a Fortinet devices as a good option.

It looks like I could get them quite cheap (for a similar price to RB450Gx4) and web gui interface looks more intuitive (without license but it should be okay for my needs).

My main need is a NAT/Router device which can easily handle 600 mbit connection for over 100 clients, maybe even 1000 mbit in future and hopefully CPU would not be 100% busy.

I have never use any FORTINET device before, is it good idea to get the used one (for example from ebay?)

Is it good idea to get any fortinet device for a main router, without license?

If so, which model would you recommend? I was thinking about FortiGate 60D (I don't need wifi at all),

1 REPLY 1
ede_pfau
SuperUser
SuperUser

Well, replies are going to be subjective, but hopefully helpful anyway.

The current series is the F-series. From generation to generation, Fortigates have nearly doubled throughput, either in firewalling or UTM. So, a 60D compared to a 60F is quite slow. It will work as a router, no problem, and it can handle 600 Mbps. (IF (!) it doesn't have to handle a PPPoE connection. This is a known limitation, a FGT will max out at 130 Mbps or so if taking care of the PPPoE protocol.)

Though I ask myself, if you cater for 100 people, this is no home device anymore, and a contracted FG-60F (or even a 40F) would make more sense. Fortigates are very attractive in the small business market because they can do a lot more than just routing and firewalling, that is, they can scan and protect all of the traffic passing through. But, that is tied to a paid contract.

Note that a D series model will not be able to run the current firmware versions. A FG-60D will support FortiOS 6.0.x but none after that. And in order to upgrade, even to the latest v6.0 patch, you will need a valid support contract. So better make the previous owner update the FGT before selling, while resetting it to factory defaults. Stuff collected on ebay can be a real headache sometimes.

Ede

"Kernel panic: Aiee, killing interrupt handler!"
Ede"Kernel panic: Aiee, killing interrupt handler!"
Labels
Top Kudoed Authors