Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
Paul_Dean
Contributor

FortiGate 60D Console Port

I received a new FG60D a couple of weeks ago. Only just had a chance to unbox it. I noticed it has an RJ45 console port on the front. I for one am very pleased to see it introduced to the 60D. Thank you Fortinet!
NSE4
NSE4
10 REPLIES 10
ede_pfau
SuperUser
SuperUser

+1 for Fortinet for the console port. -1 for cutting the internal storage from 16 GB to 8 GB.

Ede

"Kernel panic: Aiee, killing interrupt handler!"
Ede"Kernel panic: Aiee, killing interrupt handler!"
Paul_Dean

-1 for cutting the internal storage from 16 GB to 8 GB.
I never understand why companies skimp on things like storage and memory. It must cost them very little extra to have 16GB vs 8GB. Maybe their margins are very tight and all the profits are given to distributors and resellers!
NSE4
NSE4
Carl_Wallmark
Valued Contributor

Hopefully the internal storage is something we can use, in the old model you got a warning when enabling the internal storage.

FCNSA, FCNSP
---
FortiGate 200A/B, 224B, 110C, 100A/D, 80C/CM/Voice, 60B/C/CX/D, 50B, 40C, 30B
FortiAnalyzer 100B, 100C
FortiMail 100,100C
FortiManager VM
FortiAuthenticator VM
FortiToken
FortiAP 220B/221B, 11C

FCNSA, FCNSP---FortiGate 200A/B, 224B, 110C, 100A/D, 80C/CM/Voice, 60B/C/CX/D, 50B, 40C, 30BFortiAnalyzer 100B, 100CFortiMail 100,100CFortiManager VMFortiAuthenticator VMFortiTokenFortiAP 220B/221B, 11C
ede_pfau
SuperUser
SuperUser

Paul, could you please run this command, it tells us whether the FGT has a flash disk or an SSD:
exec disk list

Ede

Paul_Dean
Contributor

Here you go Ede. FortiGate # execute disk list Device S0 7.5 GB ref: 0 FORTINET S01_V130819_008 (USB) [FLASH1] partition 1 7.5 GB ref: 1 label: 1028017338EEFCF9 FortiGate #
NSE4
NSE4
ede_pfau
SuperUser
SuperUser

Thx! That' s a SD flash disk, not an SSD. Extensive logging will shorten it' s lifetime. So Fortinet recommends not to log to disk for these models (and in fact sets the default to not logging locally).

Ede

FGTuser
New Contributor III

Will Fortinet replace/repair FW under support in case of defective flash? How do I know that flash is gone? Out of support - is it possible to open the FW and replace SD card, or it' s not regular replaceable SD card? For what we have several GB of memory in FWs, if we shoudn' t use it?
ede_pfau
SuperUser
SuperUser

See jlindstom' s post here: https://forum.fortinet.com/FindPost/103115. He' s already had trouble getting his FGT RMA' ed after flash failure. How would you notice a flash disk is broken? eh,...

Ede

FGTuser
New Contributor III

ORIGINAL: ede_pfau How would you notice a flash disk is broken? eh,...
Eh,...seriously. I know that FG will not boot, but I mean situation when FG is already running. Coming from Cisco world, once you boot most of the routers, you can even remove SD card and box will run for years with broken/removed SD card until reboot. So teoretically if you don' t try to copy something to flash or format it, you will not know that it' s gone. Of course there is no logging to flash, etc...and router technically doesn' t use it when running. I guess ASA FW would survive SD flash removal as well, but I didn' t try it. That' s why this stupid question. Will FG crash in case of broken flash or continue to run? (no WAN opt.) Will it log something regarding broken flash?
Labels
Top Kudoed Authors