Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
graeme2015
New Contributor II

FortiGate 500D GBIC ports

Hi all,

Hoping to find an answer here, I'm kind of new to Fortinet and this is my first post here.  I bought 2 x FortiGate 500Ds for a client, running in Active/Active mode with 5.23 FortiOS.  There are 8 SFP slots in each of them, and the units each came with 2 1000BaseSX SFP modules.  Problem is I do not get a link light on these ports when I make the fiber connection and there is no connection detected.  The same cable works fine when connecting it to a Cisco 4507 switch (also a 1000BaseSX module).  

This is happening on both FortiGate units, on all ports and all GBICs.  The ports are not shutdown and I'm fairly certain I'm making the connection correctly.  So I'm thinking there must be something I need to configure to make these ports work.  But can't find any info.  What am I missing?

1 Solution
graeme2015
New Contributor II

Resolved this by doing a power cycle (hard reset) with the SFP modules installed.  The link comes up fine now! 

When I tried this before it was with a soft reboot, which didn't work.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
emnoc
Esteemed Contributor III

Suggestion;

1:From the cli config sys interface, do you have a media option ( copper vrs fiber )

2: are you sure you configured the right ports 

3: the cables TX/RCV are correct

For #3, you can connect to SFP together to see if this is correct.

PCNSE 

NSE 

StrongSwan  

PCNSE NSE StrongSwan
graeme2015
New Contributor II

1. There is no option to set the media type on the interface

2. I put a test configuration on the port and ensured it is "Administratively Up"

edit "port1" set vdom "root" set ip 192.168.100.1 255.255.255.0 set allowaccess ping https ssh set type physical set alias "Test" set snmp-index 4 next

3. I tried switching around the Tx/RCV cables just in case, it made no difference.

emnoc wrote:

Suggestion;

1:From the cli config sys interface, do you have a media option ( copper vrs fiber )

2: are you sure you configured the right ports 

3: the cables TX/RCV are correct

For #3, you can connect to SFP together to see if this is correct.

graeme2015
New Contributor II

Resolved this by doing a power cycle (hard reset) with the SFP modules installed.  The link comes up fine now! 

When I tried this before it was with a soft reboot, which didn't work.

emnoc
Esteemed Contributor III

FYI I just notice this CSB that covers your model and similar issues.

PCNSE 

NSE 

StrongSwan  

PCNSE NSE StrongSwan
graeme2015
New Contributor II

Thanks for finding this - this is exactly what the issue was.

I may go ahead and hard code the speed/duplex to hopefully ensure no repeats of the issue.  Thanks for your help.

Announcements

Select Forum Responses to become Knowledge Articles!

Select the “Nominate to Knowledge Base” button to recommend a forum post to become a knowledge article.

Labels
Top Kudoed Authors