Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
Dirk_Ehlers
New Contributor

FortiGate 40C / 60D

I want to buy a FortiGate for own test purposes. Should I buy a FortiGate 40C or 60D, which is the better technical decision ?
4 REPLIES 4
ede_pfau
SuperUser
SuperUser

If you snoop around in a few recent posts on the forums you will notice that Fortinet has removed some FOS features from the smaller units. Some can' t use VLANs, some don' t have IPsec VPN in the GUI anymore etc. Sometimes features still are present but have to be enabled. Sometimes features are configurable in the CLI only. Unfortunately, there is no central document where these limitations are listed. To play safe and get all the features of FOS you should consider getting a 60D or 80C and not a unit below that.

Ede

"Kernel panic: Aiee, killing interrupt handler!"
Ede"Kernel panic: Aiee, killing interrupt handler!"
Dirk_Ehlers
New Contributor

That' s the reason why I ask But I also read about bad news from the the " new" 60D (compared to 60C) in the Forum ...
isptools
New Contributor II

we here (and also all Fortinet SE`s that i talk to) say allways: alle lower than 60 is not a Fortigate. The 20/30/40 have so many restrictions that make problems. If you havent to support a 40 then you should buy a 60D its more like a Fortigate. Michael
Michael Killermann ISP-TOOLS GmbH Kohlenhofstrasse 60 -D 90443 Nuernberg - Germany Fortinet Certified Network & Security Professional #FCP1001
Michael Killermann ISP-TOOLS GmbH Kohlenhofstrasse 60 -D 90443 Nuernberg - Germany Fortinet Certified Network & Security Professional #FCP1001
ede_pfau
SuperUser
SuperUser

I don' t think that the 60D' s hardware is flawed in any way...it' s just that you have to run FOS 5.x on it whereas the 60C, 80C, 100D can run both 4.3 and 5.x. But with the latest 5.0.5 patch many bugs seem to have been fixed.

Ede

"Kernel panic: Aiee, killing interrupt handler!"
Ede"Kernel panic: Aiee, killing interrupt handler!"
Labels
Top Kudoed Authors