Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
Dirk_Ehlers
New Contributor

FortiGate 100D Generation

We got a FortiGate 100D as a demo from a distributor. This device has no shared SPF ports, but in actual pdf-sheet from Fortinet we see this ports. The distributor told me that the Fortigate 100D exists as Generation 1, 2 or 3 version. Gen 2 and 3 should have this ports, but how can I find out which version I have ? thanks
5 REPLIES 5
ede_pfau
SuperUser
SuperUser

Well if the 100D on hand doesn' t have SFP ports it' s gen.1. Gen. 2 and 3 are more difficult to distinguish. If you look at the post from Alex Libenson here https://forum.fortinet.com/FindPost/76778 you' ll see that gen.3' s internal disk is twice as big as it was in gen. 2.

Ede

"Kernel panic: Aiee, killing interrupt handler!"
Ede"Kernel panic: Aiee, killing interrupt handler!"
vanc
New Contributor II

Gen1 has 2G system memory, while gen2/3 has 4G.
jlindstrom
New Contributor

Also Gen1 uses usb-flash for storage, which breaks up quite fast if you do local logging&reporting or wan opt. Forti tries to jiggle out of it by endorsing forticloud. I had quite a dispute about this with support but in the end they rma' d my device to gen2, when I specifically mentioned the nfr unit was bought for doing development on reporting. //Juha
neonbit
Valued Contributor

The product model number determines your generation model. You can find this out via the ' get sys status' command. Product numbers below: Gen1: P09340-04 or earlier Gen2: P11510-02 Gen3: P11510-03 or later As per above the gen2 upgraded from gen1 by increasing ram from 2 to 4GB and adding 2 extra SFP ports. Gen3 upgraded from gen2 by increasing storage from 16GB to 32GB SSD. You can create a HA pair with different generations; it doesn' t matter. The thing to note is that the units will run using the slowest devices hardware. For example if you had a gen1 and gen2 unit clustered, then the HA pair will be running as if it had 2GB ram.
AndreaSoliva
Contributor III

Hi sorry the last note is from my point of view NOT supported which means the exact answer if you can cluster device of different revisions/generations is as following: - The devices must be EXACTLY the same which means if you build up a cluster with 100D Gen 2 without SFP and Gen 3 with SFP ports it would not work and it is clearly not supported by Fortinet. - What you can do -if only the revision is different- but the hardware at all the same you can use following command to exclude rev. check within a cluster: # execute ha ignore-hardware-revision status The ignore mode is disabled Again what is really important is that Hardware MUST BE exactly the same. If you format the disk on one device and on the other not it will not work. If you use on one device a disk with 16 GB and as of newer revision 32 GB you have to disable the disk meaning not formating the disk. The confirmation on this can be looked also in some support cases meaning: If you have a cluster on 100D Gen 1 and one device fails. If you open a RMA Ticket which will be accepted and Forti does not have -for some reason- a 100D Gen 1 device and the device was bought by cluster conditions they will deliver you two new device out of the refurnishment because they know the hardware must be the same to build up a cluster. hope this helps to verify have fun Andrea
Labels
Top Kudoed Authors