Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
mhe
Contributor II

FortiEMS: Change upgrade notification

Is there any way to change the notifications that are displayed when upgrading the Forticlient via the FortiEMS? I would like to add the hint that the new version of the Forticlient will be installed after the reboot - unfortunately I see it again and again that the laptop is not logged in again after the reboot and the users are then left without Forticlient.

best regards,

martin

8 REPLIES 8
Anthony_E
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hello mhe,

Thank you for using the Community Forum. I will seek to get you an answer or help. We will reply to this thread with an update as soon as possible.

Thanks,

Anthony-Fortinet Community Team.
Anthony_E

Hello,

We are still looking for someone to help you.

We will come back to you ASAP.

Regards,

Anthony-Fortinet Community Team.
minatakry
New Contributor

99% of our Forticlients are 6.4.7 & our EMS is currently 6.4.7.

We're trying to upgrade EMS to 7.0.6 but every time we try to do so All FortiClients telemetry switches to "not reachable" - though it kind of switches to connected and not connected, usually landing on not connected.

The Notifications in FortiClient says "EMS <domain> using invalid certificate" - i've double and triple checked that the Use SSL Certificate for Endpoint Control is disabled (it's disabled in 6.4.7 and after the upgrade to 7.0.6.) For S&Gs I turned it on and then off. No dice.

I also have a 7.0.6 FortiClient installed, same thing happened to it, though it seemed to connect more frequently than a 6.4.7 version but would ultimately end up on "not reachable" the majority of the time. 7.0.6 shows nothing in the Notifications section though.

I turned on debuging in FortiClient and enabled logging on everything. Though when i run the Diagnostic tool and look at the log at the times when Telemetry disconnect, there's nothing noted of use. There's actually nothing in the logs with "telemetry"

I've been messaging back and forth with TAC and just keep requesting logs.

Has anyone run in to a similar problem?

btan

Hello there,

If this is affecting all endpoints, the root cause may be from EMS side. 
Kindly ensure your EMS met the minimum hardware requirement of 6 vCPU, 8GB+ RAM.
https://docs.fortinet.com/document/forticlient/7.0.6/ems-release-notes/549781/product-integration-an...

If your EMS is published to Internet, you may try ask your case engineer to join a lab PC device to your EMS for testing, so that we can check directly on our lab PC to speed up the tshoot process.

Regards,
Bon
btan
Staff
Staff

Hi mhe,

There is currently no way to customize the upgrade notification coming out from FCT.
The new version of FCT by right should install right after reboot, it may takes around 3 to 5 min before FCT shows up it connected to EMS.
If it doesn't, kindly raise a TAC ticket and attach the logs in C:\Windows\FortiEMSInstaller_logs for further analysis.

Regards,
Bon
mhe
Contributor II

Thanks for your reply Bon.

The upgrade works for me. The problem is that the user is told not to restart the client, but there is no hint that after this restart the forticlient will be installed and therefore the user has to log in again. I have had the problem several times that users have not waited for the installation and were then without Forticlient in the home office or (even worse) on a business trip. Such problems could be easily intercepted with an extended hint. Wouldn't that be an easy to implement feature request?

Best regards from Switzerland!

martin

vivek101
New Contributor II

Yes, it is possible to customize the notifications that are displayed when upgrading FortiClient via FortiEMS.

You can modify the notification messages by following these steps:

1. Log in to the FortiEMS web interface.
  2. Go to System > Notifications.
  3. Select the notification type you want to modify (e.g., "Upgrade Notification").
  4. Edit the message text to include the hint about the new version of FortiClient being installed after the reboot.
  5. Save the changes.

When users receive an upgrade notification from FortiEMS after they've made these modifications, the updated notification message will be shown to them. Having users understand that the FortiClient will be reinstalled following the reboot should assist to prevent confusion.

In order to make sure that the client is correctly upgraded and reinstalled after the reboot, it's important to note that you might need to change your FortiClient upgrade settings. To accomplish this, navigate to Endpoint Manager > Settings > Upgrade Settings and make the necessary changes.

Vivek Garg
Vivek Garg
mhe
Contributor II

Hello Vivek

I don't see "Notifications" under System Setting - see screenshot. I am using the on premise variant, currently 7.0.7. Did you perhaps describe a 7.2 feature?

2023-04-13 16_11_19-MG02.png

martin

Labels
Top Kudoed Authors