Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
DC_Fergerson
New Contributor

FortiEDR on personal computer

I was hoping to have staff answer this question, but I'd like to know if this application of the software is inappropriate. The company I work for required all remote agents to install FortiEDR on their personal computers at home, and placed a password protection to prevent uninstalling the software. While I understand this suite of products is an industry-grade software that is used by many MSP's, my understanding is that this software is meant for business machines, not the personal computers of employees working for one. Obviously, there are also privacy worries. Should I be concerned?

5 REPLIES 5
AEK
SuperUser
SuperUser

Totally agree with you.

AEK
AEK
adambomb1219
SuperUser
SuperUser

Yeah agree with you as well.  Why are you using a personal computer for work purposes?  Does the employer not provide a computer?  

DC_Fergerson

It's a 100% work from home position. So no, they don't supply a work machine.

adambomb1219

I work from home 100% and I get a computer provided by my employer.  Maybe time to look for a new opportunity?

btan
Staff
Staff

Hello,

IMO, you should ask for black and white from your company what they trying to do/monitoring with FortiEDR installed in your personal PC. 
FortiEDR can be very powerful and intrusive, it can know every PDF files you opened, every applications you trying to use to communicate to external network etc..

If I were you, I wouldn't want my employer to know what my night time activities are.

You have the rights to negotiate with your company, or perhaps prepare a separate laptop for work-only purpose (if you foresee you will be doing remote work in future as well), and of course, look for another company that can provide a company laptop.

Regards,
Bon
Labels
Top Kudoed Authors