Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
brjohnsmith
New Contributor

FortiClient - vpl --> conf

Hi,

I need to use FortiClient IPSEC VPN using the new version, however, I have only the old configuration - extension - vpl. The new configuration on FortiClient 5 is conf (it seems). 

I was not able to find out any information in how to import this vpl extension to the new one, it seems that there is a tool - FortiClient Tools that allows to convert it, but when I try to get this tool on FTP, an USER and PASS is requested. 

ftp://support.fortinet.com/FortiClient/Windows/v4.00/4.0MR3/MR3_Patch_5 FortiClientTools_4.3.5.0472.zip

Does anyone know how to convert it or make it available from vpl to new one? or at least to provide me this file to do it?

thank you.

John.

1 Solution
ThomasHeavenly

brjohnsmith,

Not sure if you had found your solution, but I'm facing the same issue as your's.

What I did was...

1) install v4 client on my Win7 pc

2) load the VPL file

3) upgrade to v5 client

4) go to v5 settings and create a backup file (top left corner "File" > Settings)

5) load backup file to intended Win8/Win10 pc

6) and walla! it worked!

Note: Maybe v4 client can perform backup and then the file can be directly loaded into v5 client. Someone gotta help try it out.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
Shawn_W
Contributor

brjohnsmith wrote:

Hi,

I need to use FortiClient IPSEC VPN using the new version, however, I have only the old configuration - extension - vpl. The new configuration on FortiClient 5 is conf (it seems). 

I was not able to find out any information in how to import this vpl extension to the new one, it seems that there is a tool - FortiClient Tools that allows to convert it, but when I try to get this tool on FTP, an USER and PASS is requested. 

ftp://support.fortinet.com/FortiClient/Windows/v4.00/4.0MR3/MR3_Patch_5 FortiClientTools_4.3.5.0472.zip

Does anyone know how to convert it or make it available from vpl to new one? or at least to provide me this file to do it?

thank you.

John.

Do you have a support account?  You could contact support to see if they will give you credentials.

brjohnsmith

Unfortunately, no, the idea was that some one could have had the same problem and have this tool or procedure to convert VPL on the new version. For Windows 7, the old version is still working (forticlient 4), and this version allows you to import VPL. Now, I have one machine with Windows 81 Pro and I have some incompatibilities. I would appreciate any help on it. tks.

ThomasHeavenly

brjohnsmith,

Not sure if you had found your solution, but I'm facing the same issue as your's.

What I did was...

1) install v4 client on my Win7 pc

2) load the VPL file

3) upgrade to v5 client

4) go to v5 settings and create a backup file (top left corner "File" > Settings)

5) load backup file to intended Win8/Win10 pc

6) and walla! it worked!

Note: Maybe v4 client can perform backup and then the file can be directly loaded into v5 client. Someone gotta help try it out.

Labels
Top Kudoed Authors